IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: New U.N. report warns the world is heading into 'uncharted climate territory'; Summer 2022 was the hottest ever recorded globally; Fast transition to clean energy will save the world $12 trillion, study projects; PLUS: President Biden touts historic climate bill and national EV charging network... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Judge tosses air permit for giant Formosa Plastics Complex; New documents from oil industry show internal deception; Potential rail worker strike caused by erratic scheduling; Where this ice sheets in Antarctica meet the ground, small changes could have big consequences; Global ‘Stilling’: Is climate change slowing down the wind?; Focusing on the climate actions that can make a real difference; Can solar panels be super-charged?; House Dem leadership scrambles permitting reform effort... PLUS: Billionaire No More: Patagonia founder gives away the company... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- NASA: Summer 2022 was hottest on record globally, August 2022 was 2nd hottest:
- Summer heat: Second hottest August (USA Today)
- NOAA: Hottest summer on record for Europe and China during Northern Hemisphere’s 2nd-hottest summer (Yale Climate Communications):
NASA ranked June through August as tied with 2019 for the warmest on record globally...Minor differences in the agencies’ rankings can result from the different ways they treat data-sparse regions such as the Arctic.
- W.M.O. warns world is heading into 'uncharted climate territory of destruction':
- United in Science: We are heading in the wrong direction (World Meteorological Organization)
- World heading into ‘uncharted territory of destruction’, says climate report (Guardian UK):
Governments and businesses failing to change fast enough, says United in Science report, as weather gets increasingly extreme
- VIDEO: Secretary-General's video message at the Launch of the United in Science 2022 Report (World Meteorological Organization)
- Summer is ending, but climate disasters keep coming (E&E News)
- This Hot Summer Is One of the Coolest of the Rest of Our Lives (Scientific American)
- Humanity close to triggering major 'tipping points':
- Study: Four major climate tipping points close to triggering (AP):
Even if the world somehow manages to limit future warming to the strictest international temperature goal, four Earth-changing climate "tipping points" are still likely to be triggered with a lot more looming as the planet heats more after that, a new study said.
- World on brink of five ‘disastrous’ climate tipping points, study finds (Guardian UK)
- Coal consumption surges around the world:
- The energy crisis has revived the coal market (Axios)
- Coal is making a comeback in energy-hungry Europe, sending prices soaring. 2 analysts lay out what's going on. (Markets Insider)
- Fast transition to clean energy would save world trillions in energy costs:
- Empirically grounded technology forecasts and the energy transition (Joule)
- Switching to renewable energy could save trillions - study (BBC):
"Even if you're a climate denier, you should be on board with what we're advocating," Prof Doyne Farmer from the Institute for New Economic Thinking at the Oxford Martin School told BBC News. "Our central conclusion is that we should go full speed ahead with the green energy transition because it's going to save us money," he said.
- A Rapid Shift to Clean Energy Would Save the World $12 Trillion, Analysis Shows (Yale e360)
- Biden, Democrats celebrate passage of Inflation Reduction Act:
- With pep rally energy, White House celebrates Inflation Reduction Act (Washington Post)
- VIDEO: President Biden on Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (C-SPAN)
- National E.V. charging network moves ahead for 35 U.S. states:
- Biden Goes To Detroit, Pledges Electrification (Washington Post)
- Fiscal Year 2022/2023 EV Infrastructure Deployment Plans (Dept. of Transportation)
- EV Charging Help Is on the Way: DOT Approves First $900 Million to Add Infrastructure in 35 States (Car and Driver)
- With pep rally energy, White House celebrates Inflation Reduction Act (Washington Post)
- VIDEO: Biden announces first round of funding for EV charging network across 35 states (CNBC)
- 'Car guy' Biden touts electric vehicles at Detroit auto show (AP)
- NOAA launches online portal to assess risk and access federal climate funding:
- Climate Mapping for Resilience and Adaptation (NOAA)
- Biden administration launches website to provide real-time climate data, predict future scenarios (NPR-Spokane)
- Biden Administration Launches Portal to Help Communities Assess Exposure to Climate Hazards (NDTA):
CMRA integrates decision-relevant information from across the U.S. government, including climate maps and data; non-climate data such as building code standards, economic justice, and social vulnerability information; and federal grant funding opportunities.
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Judge Tosses Air Permit For Giant Formosa Plastics Complex, Citing EJ (NOLA.com)
- VIDEO: New Documents from Oil Industry Show Internal Deception (Climate Crocks)
- Potential Rail Worker Strike Caused by Erratic Scheduling (The American Prospect)
- Where Thick Ice Sheets in Antarctica Meet the Ground, Small Changes Could Have Big Consequences (Inside Climate News)
- Global ‘Stilling’: Is Climate Change Slowing Down the Wind? (Yale e360)
- Focusing on the climate actions that can make a real difference (David Roberts, Volts)
- VIDEO: Supercharging Solar Panels (Climate Crocks)
- Australia’s first climate law since 2011 seals green comeback (Straits Times)
- House Dem Leaders Scramble Permitting Reform Effort (E&E News)
- Administration Awards Gulf Of Mexico Drilling Leases To Oil Giants" (Washington Post)
- EU, Australia Shape Standards to Keep PFAS Off the Dinner Table (Bloomberg)
- California Water Pipeline Hits Legal Setback (E&E News)
- Billionaire No More: Patagonia Founder Gives Away the Company (NY Times)
- VIDEO: See what three degrees of global warming looks like (The Economist/YouTube)
- The 7 climate tipping points that could change the world forever (Grist)
- The 1977 White House climate memo that should have changed the world (Guardian UK)
- Four solutions to mitigate climate change, from the IPCC (Dr. Michael Mann, Penn Today)
- UN warns Earth 'firmly on track toward an unlivable world' (AP)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- "Rare Earths" from Coal Waste (Climate Crocks)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- Green Upheaval: The New Geopolitics of Energy (Foreign Affairs)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- Guilt, grief and anxiety as young people fear for climate's future (Reuters)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- An Empire of Dying Wells: Old oil and gas sites are a climate menace. Meet the company that owns more of America's decaying wells than any other. (Bloomberg)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 9 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.