IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Biden Administration approves controversial ConocoPhillips Willow drilling project in Alaska...But also prohibits future drilling in Alaska and U.S. Arctic waters; Mack Truck goes electric; PLUS: In the Indian Ocean, Tropical Storm Freddy setting stunning new records... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
Got comments, tips, love letters, hate mail? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Biden Administration moves to restrict cancer-causing 'forever chemicals'; Insurers slashed Hurricane Ian payouts far below damage estimates, documents and insiders reveal; Why EPA’s huge social cost of carbon might fail to halt CO2; Saudi oil giant posts record profits; As coal disappears, mining states launch rescue efforts; Before disastrous flood, officials knew Pajaro River levee could fail but took no action; Confirmed: global floods, droughts worsening with global warming...PLUS: Concern grows over rich nations controlling sunlight... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Biden Administration approves controversial ConocoPhillips Willow project in Alaska:
- Biden OKs Alaska oil project, draws ire of environmentalists (AP)
- Biden okays major Arctic oil drilling project, angering environmentalists (Washington Post):
The decision to allow three pads will also enable the construction of hundreds of miles of roads and pipelines, airstrips, a gravel mine and a large processing facility on near-pristine tundra and wetlands in the reserve. While originally set aside for oil production 100 years ago, only two sites produce oil there now — both run by ConocoPhillips — and the expanse provides important habitat for migrating caribou, waterfowl and other wildlife.
- VIDEO: Climate & Indigenous Activists Decry Biden’s Approval of Willow Oil Drilling Project in Arctic (Democracy Now!)
- What to know about the controversial Willow oil drilling project in Alaska (CNN)
- Biden's Arctic oil drama (Axios)
- Alaska's Willow oil project is controversial. Here's why. (AP/MSN)
- Biden’s green allies promise lawsuit over Alaska oil project (E&E News)
- Al Gore warns it would be 'recklessly irresponsible' to allow Alaska oil drilling plan (Guardian UK)
- Biden Administration also prohibited other drilling in US Arctic waters and Alaskan wilderness:
- Biden closes Arctic to oil — after Willow (E&E News):
As part of a "fire wall" against future drilling in the far north, the White House announced it is also preparing to overhaul management of the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska (NPR-A), expanding protections in a large portion of the 24-million-acre swath of public lands in the Arctic..."We have characterized this rhetorical dualism as a call for ‘one last fossil bender before America goes green and sober,'" the analysts wrote.
- Biden blocks other oil drilling in Alaska while considering Willow project (AP)
- Biden-Harris Administration Announces Sweeping Protections for Up To 16 Million Acres of Land and Water in Alaska (Dept. of Interior)
- Biden to protect 16M acres in Alaska (Axios)
- How Biden Got From 'No More Drilling’'to Backing a Huge Project in Alaska (NY Times):
High gas prices, a looming election and fears of a costly legal battle seem to have shifted the political calculus for the president.
- Iditarod Race grapples with global warming impacts:
- Heat Causes Issues during Alaska’s Famous Iditarod Race (VOA News)
- 'A little scary: Iditarod begins with smallest field ever (LA Times)
- Heat takes toll as Iditarod mushers trek across Alaska (AP)
- 2023 Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race Live Blog (KTVF-Fairbanks)
- Tropical Storm Freddy breaks record for longest-lived tropical cyclone in recorded history:
- Factbox-Why is Cyclone Freddy a record-breaking storm? (Reuters/MSN)
- Lashing Mozambique, Freddy has become Earth’s most energetic cyclone on record (Washington Post/MSN)
- Factbox-Why is Cyclone Freddy a record-breaking storm? (Reuters/MSN)
- VIDEO: Cyclone Freddy death toll in Malawi, Mozambique passes 100 (Al Jazeera):
With bare hands, Malawians dig through mud for survivors; Mozambique officials say fallout from the storm’s second landfall was worse than expected.
- Silicon Valley Bank failure affecting climate tech startups:
- What Silicon Valley Bank’s Collapse Means for Climate Tech (Bloomberg):
The fall of Silicon Valley Bank leaves a hole in the ecosystem for financing cleantech startups — just how big remains to be seen.
- SVB's collapse could make it harder for climate startups to get the funding they need (Business Insider/MSN)
- Climate tech risked becoming banking-crisis casualty. What’s next for solar, batteries and more? (MarketWatch)
- Mack Truck introduces first-ever all-electric medium duty truck:
- Mack Trucks launches its first medium-duty electric truck (Electrek)
- Mack’s Electric Truck Could Be a Fleet Game-Changer (AutoWeek)
- Mack drives out MD Electric medium-duty truck with 240 miles of range (New Atlas)
- EVs are far cleaner than gas-powered cars - even if batteries require more mining (Quartz):
A typical passenger vehicle like the Toyota Camry emits about 68 tons of CO2 in its lifetime, compared to 15 tons of CO2 emitted for an electric Tesla Model 3 — which includes CO2 emitted during the extraction of materials, the manufacturing of the battery, and power supply, which are the emissions made through charging the battery and operating the vehicle.
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Biden Administration to Restrict Cancer-Causing 'Forever Chemicals' (NY Times)
- Insurers slashed Hurricane Ian payouts far below damage estimates, documents and insiders reveal (Washington Post)
- Why EPA’s huge social cost of carbon might fail to halt CO2 (E&E News)
- Saudi Oil Giant Reports Largest-Ever $161 Billion Profit in 2022 (Democracy Now!)
- Hydrogen: Inside the Global Race to Turn Water Into Fuel (NY Times)
- As coal disappears, mining states launch rescue efforts (E&E News)
- Powell: Fed won't be a climate policymaker (E&E News)
- Before disastrous flood, officials knew Pajaro River levee could fail but took no action (LA Times)
- The East Coast Whale Die-Offs: Unraveling the Causes (Yale e360)
- In Rail Hazmat Crashes, Small Town Firefighters Can Be Vulnerable (NPR)
- Company Testing Air in East Palestine Homes Was Hired by Norfolk Southern (Inside Climate News)
- Confirmed: Global Floods, Droughts Worsening With Warming (AP)
- Concern grows over rich nations controlling sunlight (E&E News)
- Why It's Time to Officially Get Over Your EV Range Anxiety (Inside Climate News)
- Building Steam in Lithium Valley (The American Prospect)
- Feeling Overwhelmed About Going All-Electric at Home? Here's How to Get Started (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: See what three degrees of global warming looks like (The Economist/YouTube)
- The 7 climate tipping points that could change the world forever (Grist)
- The 1977 White House climate memo that should have changed the world (Guardian UK)
- Four solutions to mitigate climate change, from the IPCC (Dr. Michael Mann, Penn Today)
- UN warns Earth 'firmly on track toward an unlivable world' (AP)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.