IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Australia grapples with unprecedented wildfires in a taste of its climate future; Climate-change intensified deluges flood Jakarta; PLUS: Buckle up - Trump's escalation of tensions with Iran is spiking global oil prices... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Australia's climate change prophecy is coming true and it's going to cost the nation billions; Shutdown of US coal power facilities saved over 26,000 lives, study finds; U.S. greenhouse gas emissions dip, but Trump politics put future cuts in doubt; FEMA threat report ignores climate change, sea-level rise; Backlog of toxic Superfund cleanups grows under Trump; Duke Energy agrees to remove coal ash pits in North Carolina... PLUS: Where is the Green New Deal headed in 2020?... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Australia's record bushfire season is a taste of its climate future:
- VIDEO: How climate change has intensified the deadly fires in Australia (CBS News)
- VIDEO ‘A tipping point is playing out right now’ says climate scientist Dr. Michael Mann (ABC Australia)
- Fire clouds and ember attacks: How Australia's fires are creating rare weather phenomena (NBC News)
- Fire clouds and ember attacks: How Australia's fires are creating rare weather phenomena (NBC News):
"Intense and voracious”...Australia’s wildfires, unprecedented in their size and severity, are so intense they are setting off a series of bizarre phenomena, including fire-driven thunderstorms, fire clouds and so-called ember attacks.
- 'Silent death': Australia's bushfires push countless species to extinction (Guardian UK)
- Millions of animals are dying from the Australian fires, and the environment will suffer for years to come (CNN)
- Australians Fear 'Mega Blaze' If 2 Fires Join Forces: 'It's an Atomic Bomb' (Vice)
- 24 Australians arrested for deliberately setting fires this season (ABC News)
- Elton John, Chris Hemsworth each pledge $1 million to Australia wildfire relief (ABC News)
- VIDEO: At Golden Globes, Australia Fires co-star with Climate Change (Climate Crocks)
- Rare and unique flora and fauna in Western Australia's Stirling Range may never fully recover from a massive series of fires (ABC Australia)
- Tropical cyclone Blake: Western Australia's first cyclone of the summer to batter Kimberley region (Guardian UK)
- AUS conservative Morrison Administration criticized for response, climate science denial:
- Australia's leaders unmoved on climate action after devastating bushfires (Reuters):
Australia’s government is sticking firmly to a position that there is no direct link between climate change and the country’s devastating bushfires, despite public anger, the anguish of victims and warnings from scientists.
- As Fires Rage, Australia Pushes to Emit More Carbon (Scientific American)
- VIDEO: Australian PM Jeered visiting Fire Area (Climate Crocks)
- VIDEO: Australian fires: who is to blame? (BBC)
- VIDEO: Amid raging bushfire, Rupert Murdoch's Australian media empire turns a blind eye to climate crisis (Media Matters)
- Bots and trolls spread false arson claims in Australian fires ‘disinformation campaign’ (Guardian UK)
- Australia can expect far more fire catastrophes. A proper disaster plan is worth paying for (The Conversation)
- Persistent, torrential rains flood Jakarta:
- 66 people now killed by flooding in Jakarta, and more rain appears to be on the way (CNN)
- Jakarta floods: recovery effort begins as city counts cost of worst deluge in a decade (Guardian UK)
- Indonesia’s flooded capital disinfected to fend off disease (AP)
- Trump's escalation of tensions with Iran could spike oil/gas prices:
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Australia Fires: Ross Garnaut's climate change prophecy is coming true and it's going to cost Australia billions, experts warn (ABC Australia)
- US Greenhouse Emissions Dip; Trump Policies Put Future Cuts In Doubt (Reuters)
- EPA Official Stirs Fear Over Future Of Chesapeake Bay Cleanup Efforts (Baltimore Sun)
- Shutdown of US coal power facilities saved over 26,000 lives, study finds (Guardian UK)
- FEMA threat report ignores climate change, sea-level rise (E&E News)
- Where Is the Green New Deal Headed in 2020? (Inside Climate News)
- Research on BP Spill Shows Potential Human Health, Mental Health Effects (NOLA)
- Backlog Of Toxic Superfund Cleanups Grows Under Trump (AP)
- Duke Energy Agrees To Remove Coal Ash In North Carolina (AP)
- Congress Saves Coal Miner Pensions, but What About Others? (NY Times)
- A Sacred Place And A Sacred Quest To Save It (Huffington Post)
- Marine Labs on the Water’s Edge Are Threatened by Climate Change (NY Times)
- Interior Dept. tinkers with word 'habitat' with an eye to limiting regulatory reach (E&E News)
- Dutch supreme court upholds landmark ruling demanding climate action (Guardian UK)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 11 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- This Is How Human Extinction Could Play Out (Rolling Stone)
- SEJ Backgrounder: Green New Deal Proposes Sweeping Economic Transformation (Society of Environmental Journalists)
- Explainer: The 'Green New Deal': Mobilizing for a just, prosperous, and sustainable economy (New Consensus)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page