IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: "Unprecedented" wildfires explode across the Western U.S.; Yes, man-made climate change is to blame; PLUS: Trump trolls for votes in Florida by flip-flopping on offshore drilling ban... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): The 'Straightforward' Link Between Climate and California's Fires; Climate crisis could displace 1.2bn people by 2050, report warns; World's wildlife populations fell 68 percent since 1970; Antarctica and Greenland Are on Track for the Worst-Case Climate Scenario; 'Doomsday Glacier' Vulnerability Seen In New Maps; Illegal Devices That Bypass Vehicle Emissions Controls Spread Across US... PLUS: Experts Question Truth Of Indonesia’s Claim Of Avoided Deforestation... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- California wildfires explode, turning skies orange:
- Live Fire Updates: Wildfires rage in California, Oregon and Washington (CNN)
- 'We could hear the trees exploding': At least 7 dead as swath of wildfires rage across California, Oregon, Washington, other Western states (USA Today)
- 7 People Die in West Coast Wildfires (NY Times)
- LA County records highest-ever temperature (CNN)
- Creek Fire: Helicopters rescue dozens of trapped California campers (BBC)
- PG&E Shutoffs Are Here Again: What to Know About Power Outages Today (KQED)
- Forest Service temporarily closing all National Forests in California (Fox26-Fresno)
- Firefighters overtaken by flames in California mountains (AP)
- The Creek Fire is creating massive thunderhead clouds that are fueling its growth (CNN)
- Oregon, Washington State wildfires destroy several communities:
- Western wildfires: Evacuations in California and Oregon as destructive fire outbreak engulfs region (Washington Post)
- Live Wildfire news updates: What to know today about the destructive fires in Washington state and on the West Coast (Seattle Times)
- VIDEO Gov. Kate Brown predicts Oregon wildfires will lead to greatest loss of property and lives from fire in state history (The Oregonian)
- 80 percent of the buildings in an eastern Washington town were destroyed during a Labor Day firestorm (CNN)
- Colorado extreme weather whiplash helps firefighting efforts:
- In 48 Hours, Colorado's Wild Weather Sets Records For Both Heat And Snow (NPR)
- From summer heat to snow in 18 hours: Weather whiplash strikes Rocky Mountain states (Washington Post)
- VIDEO CBS Meteorologist Jeff Berardelli: "It's all connected" (CBS News)
- Man-made climate change is intensifying wildfires and heat waves:
- The 'Straightforward' Link Between Climate and California's Fires (NY Times)
- VIDEO: UCSB Prof. Leah Stokes - California wildfires illustrate the consequences of climate change (PBS NewsHour)
- How climate change fuels California's biggest fires (Salon)
- Broadcast TV networks' August wildfire coverage missed key factors including climate change, coronavirus, and prison labor (Media Matters)
- Trump trolls for votes, flip-flopping on offshore drilling ban in Florida:
- 5 Lies Trump Told About The Environment In One 20-Minute Speech (Huffington Post)
- In reversal, Trump to ban oil drilling off coasts of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina (Washington Post):
President Trump, who barely two years ago proposed a vast expansion of oil and gas drilling in U.S. continental waters, on Tuesday made clear there is at least part of the nation's coastline he is eager to protect: the crucial electoral battleground of Florida.
- Trump expands oil drilling moratorium for Florida (Politico):
President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday a decade-long ban on oil drilling off the coast of Florida, Georgia and South Carolina - a decision that surprised energy industry executives by reversing the administration's earlier pledges to open those waters to exploration..."It's a complete ambush," said one industry official who had been abreast of Interior's plans. "Nobody knows where this came from. It totally seems like a campaign sort of thing."
- Trump courts Florida voters with moratorium on offshore drilling (The Hill):
Trump isn't the only one who stands to benefit from the politically popular move. [Sen. Lindsey] Graham, a staunch Trump ally who is attempting to fend off a formidable challenge from Democrat Jaime Harrison, took credit Tuesday for getting the order to extend as far up the coast as South Carolina.
- VIDEO: Donald Trump Speech in Jupiter, Florida Transcript September 8 (Rev)
- Trump, Calling Himself 'the No. 1 Environmental President,' Green Washes His Record (NY Times)
- The Sitting President Has No Climate Plan. Why Isn't That Headline News? (The Nation)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- The 'Straightforward' Link Between Climate and California's Fires (NY Times)
- Climate crisis could displace 1.2bn people by 2050, report warns (Guardian UK)
- World's wildlife populations fell 68% since 1970: WWF (Deutsche-Welle News)
- Antarctica and Greenland Are on Track for the Worst-Case Climate Scenario (Earther)
- Thwaites: 'Doomsday Glacier' Vulnerability Seen In New Maps (BBC)
- Brazil's Amazon Fires Worsen In September, Threaten Virgin Forests (Reuters)
- Illegal Devices That Bypass Vehicle Emissions Controls Spread Across US (Guardian UK)
- EPA Announces Major Reorganization of Chemical Safety Division (Bloomberg)
- Experts Question Truth Of Indonesia’s Claim Of Avoided Deforestation (Mongabay)
- Democrats Probe Park Service Involvement in GOP Convention (The Hill)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 11 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- SEJ Backgrounder: Green New Deal Proposes Sweeping Economic Transformation (Society of Environmental Journalists)
- Explainer: The 'Green New Deal': Mobilizing for a just, prosperous, and sustainable economy (New Consensus)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page