IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Twin storms pummel the Gulf Coast and Northern California fires rage out of control during the coronavirus pandemic; Trump Administration abruptly pauses controversial Pebble Mine; PLUS: 2020 Democratic National Convention touts climate action... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
Got comments, tips, love letters, hate mail? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Exxon Ends 92-Year Run on Dow Jones; Hedge Fund Collects $3 Billion in Bet on Wildfire Insurance Claims;
Dems’ Climate Plan Takes Aim At The Fossil Industry’s Political Power; Thousands Allowed To Bypass Environmental Rules In Pandemic; Climate Is Taking On a Growing Role for Voters, Research Suggests; Decades of Racist Housing Policy Left Neighborhoods Sweltering... PLUS: An Apocalyptic August in California... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Twin storms pummel U.S. Gulf Coast:
- Laura is now a hurricane and is forecast to strengthen more before hitting the Gulf Coast (CNN)
- Updates: Laura to become dangerous, major hurricane as it takes aim at Texas and Louisiana (Washington Post):
On Tuesday morning, the National Hurricane Center upgraded hurricane watches to warnings, and cover Galveston, coastal Houston, Port Arthur, Tex., and Lake Charles, La. Areas far from Hurricane Laura’s core will be affected by strong winds and heavy rain. Passing over abnormally warm waters in the Gulf of Mexico, Laura is forecast to undergo bursts of intensification until it approaches land.
- Storm Watch: Marco Makes Landfall, Laura Predicted To Be Category 2 Hurricane In Gulf (NPR):
Tropical Storm Marco has made landfall near the mouth of the Mississippi River but it is Tropical Storm Laura that has Louisiana and Texas residents bracing for what could be the strongest storm since 2005's Hurricane Rita — still ranked as the most intense tropical cyclone on record in the Gulf of Mexico.
- VIDEO: Gov. Edwards Gives Update on Louisiana's Response to Tropical Storms Marco and Laura (Facebook)
- VIDEO: Climate change is driving wildfires, giving ‘rocket fuel’ to tropical storms (PBS NewsHour)
- California fires rage out of control:
- Wildfires raging across California 'historic' – as it happened (Guardian UK)
- California fires live updates: LNU Complex devours nearly 1,000 structures, Russian River area hit hard (SF Chronicle)
- Scope of California Wildfires Is Staggering (NY Times):
Fires have chewed through 1.4 million acres in the state this year. By this point in 2019, 56,000 acres had burned.
- California, Colorado Fires May Show Climate-Driven Transformation (Inside Climate News)
- As blazes spread, Covid-19 in California prisons hits crucial inmate firefighting force (CNBC)
- California wine country evacuees stuck in hellish limbo as fire rages on (San Jose Mercury News)
- Trump blames California for wildfires, tells state 'you gotta clean your floors' (Politico):
Trump's suggestions have prompted head-scratching from experts who say his prescriptions — more raking, less water released into the ocean for environmental purposes — suggest he does not understand the science of wildfires. Critics also point out that most of California’s wildlands are federally managed.
- VIDEO: Yes, climate change is intensifying Western heat wave (CBS)
- Climate action woven throughout 2020 Democratic National Convention:
- Climate change prominently featured on Day 3 of DNC (NBC News)
- VIDEO: Joe Biden's Speech at the 2020 Democratic National Convention, transcript and video (Rev.com)
- VIDEO: Michelle Lujan Grisham’s climate and clean energy speech at the 2020 Democratic National Convention (PBS NewsHour)
- When It Comes to Climate Change, It’s Joe Biden Versus the DNC (The Nation)
- VIDEO: Billie Eilish, a self-described environmental activist, performs at the DNC (PBS NewsHour)
- What changed — and what didn't — in the climate platform (E&E News)
- VIDEO: Youth Climate Activists To Speak At Democratic National Convention (Huffington Post)
- VIDEO: 2020 Democratic National Convention | Night 3 Special Coverage & Analysis [climate section starts ~2:22:00] (PBS NewsHour)
- Trump Admin. abruptly pauses permitting process for controversial Pebble Mine:
- Trump administration says Alaska’s Pebble Mine can’t be permitted ‘as currently proposed’ (Washinton Post)
- New Hurdle For Major Alaska Gold Mine After Donald Trump Jr. Tweets Opposition (NPR)
- Alaska mine 'cannot be permitted,' Trump administration rules in major reversal (Politico)
- Alaska Pebble Mine opposed by Trump Jr. hit with unexpected setback (CNN)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Exxon Ends 92-Year Run on Dow Jones (Earther)
- Hedge Fund Collects $3 Billion in Bet on Wildfire Insurance Claims (Insurance Journal)
- Dems’ Climate Plan Takes Aim At The Fossil Industry’s Political Power (Guardian UK)
- Senate Democrats want to build a climate coalition that can take on the Kochs (Vox)
- Thousands Allowed To Bypass Environmental Rules In Pandemic (AP)
- An Apocalyptic August in California (New Yorker)
- A Roadmap for Science in Decisionmaking (Union of Concerned Scientists)
- Climate Is Taking On a Growing Role for Voters, Research Suggests (NY Times)
- Decades of Racist Housing Policy Left Neighborhoods Sweltering (NY Times)
- How Maryland's Trash-Burning Bias Galvanized Activists in Baltimore (Inside Climate News)
- Hunting Pirates Who Steal Millions of Tons of Fish From the Seas (Smithsonian)
- Indigenous 'Women Warriors' Fight for Amazon Forest Conservation (Mongabay)
- How utilities use secret campaigns against climate action (E&E News)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 11 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- SEJ Backgrounder: Green New Deal Proposes Sweeping Economic Transformation (Society of Environmental Journalists)
- Explainer: The 'Green New Deal': Mobilizing for a just, prosperous, and sustainable economy (New Consensus)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page