IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Newly unearthed internal documents reveal that Shell Oil knew, as early as 1958, that its products caused global warming; Senate Democrats call for EPA chief Scott Pruitt to resign; Internal EPA report undermines Pruitt's claims of 'unprecedented death threats'; PLUS: Obama's former EPA Administrator Gina McCarthy warns of the long term consequences of Pruitt's reign... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Bad news: climate change has slowed critical Atlantic circulation; DOJ green light for $66 billion Bayer-Monsanto merger terrifies farmers; Environmental group EDF plans to launch its own methane-tracking satellite; The most important climate treaty you’ve never heard of; EPA to clean up toxic Texas site damaged by Hurricane Harvey; Southern Calif. water agency votes to fund construction of two Delta tunnels; The 10 Most endangered rivers in the USA; Climate deniers say polar bears are fine. Scientists are pushing back.... PLUS: Body parts from threatened wildlife widely sold on Facebook... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Shell Knew, Too, that its products caused global warming:
- AUDIO: Shell Knew Too: 'BradCast' 4/11/2018 (The BRAD BLOG):
"By 1962, we can demonstrate that Shell's chief geologist was very explicitly acknowledging the links between Shell's products and carbon dioxide from fossil fuels, and the potential for global warming," says Muffett. "So much so, that this scientist even highlighted the recommendations of other scientists that the switch to solar energy should begin as soon as possible."
- A Crack in the Shell: New documents show Shell’s hidden climate history (Center for International Environmental Law):
The analysis, A Crack in the Shell: New Documents Expose a Hidden Climate History, details a troubling pattern in Shell’s behavior: making declarations about the dangers of climate change while working with other companies to oppose climate action, including by spreading misinformation, then leaving after the damage has already been done.
- Shell Knew Fossil Fuels Created Climate Change Risks Back in 1980s, Internal Documents Show (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: ‘Shell knew’: oil giant's 1991 film warned of climate change danger (Guardian UK)
- Internal EPA memo undermines Pruitt's claims of 'unprecedented' security threats:
- Exclusive: EPA removes staffer who OK’d report on Pruitt’s security (Politico) [emphasis added]:
The source predicted Caraballo's dismissal would stiffen the resolve of Pruitt's critics within the agency. "This isn't going to frighten staff, this is going to embolden us to leak more to get these criminals out," the employee said Tuesday. "They need to know we're not intimidated and we're going to blow the whistle on anything even borderline questionable."...According to the internal EPA memo, the "threats" include protesters attempting to disrupt one of Pruitt's closed-door speeches, a letter from a prisoner, and a postcard that included the greeting: "CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL!!! We are watching you," Carper and Whitehouse wrote to Environment and Public Works Chairman John Barrasso (R-Wyo.).
- E.P.A. Assesses Threats on Twitter to Justify Pruitt’s Spending (NY Times)
- Senators: E.P.A. Files Undercut Pruitt’s Need for First-Class Travel (NY Times):
The February assessment described repeated efforts by E.P.A. intelligence officials to tell the agency’s inspector general and senior leadership “that ‘the threat’ to the administrator was being inappropriately mischaracterized” by Mr. Pruitt’s security detail,Mr. Whitehouse wrote in the letter, sent jointly with Senator Tom Carper, a Democrat of Delaware.
- Senate Democrats demand Pruitt's resignation, attempt to block EPA #2 confirmation:
- If Scott Pruitt Gets Fired From the EPA, This Coal Lobbyist Will Take His Place (Mother Jones):
It’s like “having a tobacco lobbyist heading up the American Lung Association.”
- Andrew Wheeler, Set to Be No. 2 at E.P.A., Is a Coal Lobbyist Steeped in Washington’s Ways (NY Times)
- Vote slated for Thursday for former Inhofe aide Wheeler to be EPA's No. 2 (CNN)
- US Senate Democrats Urge Resolution Calling for Removal of EPA Chief (VOA News)
- To fight Pruitt, Democrats declare war on Wheeler (E&E News)
- Democrats Did Little To Stop A Climate-Denying Coal Lobbyist From Getting EPA’s No. 2 Spot (Huffington Post)
- 2 Senate Democrats Vow To Confirm Climate-Denying Coal Lobbyist As EPA No. 2 (Huffington Post)
- Obama EPA Administrator McCarthy warns of long term consequences of Pruitt's reign:
- VIDEO:Former EPA Administrator Says Scott Pruitt Is 'Embarrassing' The Position (WGBH News):
McCarthy, who served during the Obama administration, says that beyond attacking science, Pruitt is ignoring the mission of the agency. She accused him of prioritizing the slashing of regulations to aid big business over fundamental public health issues like protecting air quality and clean water.
- The Myth of Scott Pruitt’s EPA Rollback (Politico)
- How “Effective” Is Scott Pruitt, Really? (The New Republic)
- Scott Pruitt's Civilization-Threatening Lie (Op-ed, Justin Gillis, NY Times)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Bad News: Climate Change Has Slowed Critical Atlantic Circulation (Washington Post)
- DOJ Green Light for $66 Billion Bayer-Monsanto Merger Terrifies Farmers (Business Insider)
- Environmental Group EDF Plans To Launch Its Own Methane-Tracking Satellite (Washington Post)
- Kinder Morgan Halts Most Work On Disputed Canada Pipeline Expansion (Reuters)
- The Most Important Climate Treaty You’ve Never Heard Of (Inside Climate News)
- Body Parts From Threatened Wildlife Widely Sold on Facebook (AP)
- EPA To Clean Up Toxic Texas Site Damaged By Hurricane Harvey (AP)
- Southern Calif. Water Agency Votes To Fund Construction Of Two Delta Tunnels (LA Times)
- These Are the 10 Most Endangered Rivers in the USA (USA Today)
- A Grass-Roots Movement For Healthy Soil Spreads Among Farmers (NPR)
- Climate Deniers Say Polar Bears Are Fine. Scientists Are Pushing Back. (NY Times)
- California, Enviros To Appeal Decision On Trump's Border Wall (San Diego Union-Tribune)
- U.N. Shipping Agency Under Pressure To Tackle Growing CO2 Emissions (FERN)
- EPA Advisers Got Oil Funding For Studies Against Car Rule (E&E News)
- IG Report: Interior Reassigned Senior Execs Without Clear Criteria (CNN)
- Limiting global warming to 1.5C would have 'significant economic benefits' (Carbon Brief)
- Limiting global warming to 1.5C would have 'significant economic benefits (GreenBiz)
- Univ. of New South Wales launches 'world-first' e-waste microfactory (ZDNet)
- Tougher Climate Policies Could Save 150 Million Lives, Researchers Find (Washington Post)
- AUDIO: An Inconvenient 'BradCast' with Al Gore (The BRAD BLOG):
Guest Host Angie Coiro's exclusive interview with the former Vice President on elections, pollution, persuasion, activism, and hope...
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
- No country on Earth is taking the 2 degree climate target seriously (Vox):
If we mean what we say, no more new fossil fuels, anywhere.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page