Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
In a surprise announcement late this afternoon ES&S has announced it has purchased all of the assets of AutoMark Technical Systems. This announcement means that ES&S will now manufacture and market the ballot marking devices. According to their press release this acquisition will now allow ES&S to “enhance the product as part of the company’s suite of end-to-end, fully integrated voting solutions.” In other words, they can now use inexpensive parts made in Asian sweatshops and sell the machines more expensively. Not explained in this release is what this sale will do to Diebold/Premier’s plan to market AutoMark machines.
The ACLU has now filed a motion with the courts in Ohio to stop Cuyahoga Co from using any central-count optical scan system as the primary system to count ballots in the March primary.
Those stories, and the other notable voting news today, all linked below...
- AR: See you at the poll : Prevalence of elections in 2008 means plenty of trips to ballot box
- AR: Some states rethink reliability of electronic voting
- AR: Daniels encourages early voting
- CA: A paper jam roils California vote [First of two parts]
There's a rush in the state to replace decertified electronic devices with printed ballots and scanners.
- CA: San Francisco County - Switch to paper ballots ensures long night
- FL: Editorial - Touch and hope no way to vote
- FL: Are election officials ready?
- FL: Columnist - FL Officials Hope To Keep Ghosts Of Elections Past At Bay
- FL: Hillsborough County - After Primary, Hillsborough Ditching Touch-Screens
- IL: McHenry County - Early voting becoming hit
- IN: Marion County - Central count of special election ballots questioned
- IN: Marion County - Republicans cry foul over special election plans
- NH: Activists had eye on each step of recount
- NH: Republican Candidate Calls for 'Tightening Up' of New Hampshire Election Contest Hand Count Procedures
- NJ: Opinion - Make it convenient to vote in elections
- NY: Tompkins County - Board of Elections selects voting machine
- OH: Opinion - Not needed, fast
- OH: Voting debate grows partisan
- OK: Most of state's provisional ballots in recent years not valid
- OH: Cuyahoga County - ACLU Asks Federal Court to Block Use of Unfair Voting Technology
- OH: Cuyahoga County - ACLU tries another way to stop Cuyahoga County March 4 primary voting
- OH: Cuyahoga County - ACLU Sues Over Paper Ballots in Ohio
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**