IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: GNR Special Coverage: President Biden launches historic, government-wide plan for climate action... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
Got comments, tips, love letters, hate mail? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): The Filibuster Was Grounded in Slavery and Now Threatens All Life on Earth; General Motors to eliminate gasoline and diesel cars and SUVs by 2035; Court rules against Dakota Access easement in win for tribe; ... PLUS: Transmission week: how to start building more big power lines... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- President Joe Biden unveils sweeping, historic Climate Action Plan:
- FACT SHEET: President Biden Takes Executive Actions to Tackle the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad, Create Jobs, and Restore Scientific Integrity Across Federal Government (White House)
- VIDEO and transcript: Joe Biden Speech on Climate Change Agenda, Public Oil & Gas Leases, January 27 (Rev.com)
- VIDEO and transcript: White House Press Conference Transcript January 27: John Kerry & Gina McCarthy on Biden Climate Plan (Rev.com)
- Executive Order on Tackling the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad (White House)
- Memorandum on Restoring Trust in Government Through Scientific Integrity and Evidence-Based Policymaking (White House)
- Executive Order on the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (White House)
- Executive Order on Ensuring the Future Is Made in All of America by All of America’s Workers (White House)
- Proclamation on the Termination Of Emergency With Respect To The Southern Border Of The United States And Redirection Of Funds Diverted To Border Wall Construction (White House)
- Modernizing Regulatory Review (White House)
- Executive Order on Protecting Public Health and the Environment and Restoring Science to Tackle the Climate Crisis (White House)
- Regulatory Freeze Pending Review (White House)
- What's in Biden's watershed Climate Action Plan?:
- Biden launches historic, governmentwide climate action (E&E News):
Today's effort is historic in size and speed, eclipsing the early climate policies advanced by the Obama White House more than a decade ago. It's also a whiplash moment in national politics, coming on the heels of the Trump administration's yearslong campaign to deconstruct federal rules designed to limit carbon emissions.
- Everything you need to know about Biden’s climate policy spree (Grist)
- Biden's Latest Executive Orders Are The Most Aggressive Moves On Climate Change Of Any President (Buzzfeed)
- Biden to place environmental justice at center of sweeping climate plan (Washington Post)
- Joe Biden Is Throwing the Weight of the Government Behind Electric Vehicles (Earther)
- U.S. To 'Make Good' On Climate Finance Pledges, Kerry Tells Leaders (Reuters)
- More on Biden's Climate Action Plan:
- The Battle Lines Are Forming in Biden’s Climate Push (NY Times):
The president is moving rapidly to address global warming, with unlikely allies backing him and huge hurdles, some from his own party, directly ahead. Automakers are coming to accept that much higher fuel economy standards are their future; large oil and gas companies have said some curbs on greenhouse pollution lifted by former President Donald J. Trump should be reimposed... But what may well stand in the president’s way is political intransigence from senators from fossil-fuel states in both parties.
- Biden’s Executive Actions Just Scratch the Surface (The American Prospect):
I do follow this stuff fairly closely...I can just say that, in a lot of ways on these executive actions, the style is doing a fair bit more than the substance.
- Klain: Biden's executive orders are not 'in lieu of legislation' (Politico)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- The Filibuster Was Grounded in Slavery and Now Threatens All Life on Earth (Thom Hartmann, Medium)
- General Motors to eliminate gasoline and diesel cars and SUVs by 2035 (Washington Post)
- Court rules against Dakota Access easement in win for tribe (E&E News)
- Transmission week: how to start building more big power lines (David Roberts, Volts)
- Empty Seas: Oceanic Shark Populations Dropped 71% Since 1970 (AP)
- Drone Disguised as Hummingbird Captures Incredible Footage of Monarch Butterfly Swarm (F-Stoppers)
- Public Lands: Biden Debuts Bold Conservation Goal, Job Corps (E&E News)
- Analysis: How Biden's Freeze On Drilling Leases Affects CO2 (E&E News)
- Coal-State Manchin Takes on Key Chairmanship for Dems Climate Effort (Inside Climate News)
- New U.S. Strategy Would Quickly Free Billions in Climate Funds (NY Times)
- 'Enormously big deal': Fed creates climate committee (E&E News)
- President Biden’s 30% Conservation Commitment Is Good News for People, Too (Pew Trusts)
- How Biden’s Climate Ambitions Could Shift America’s Global Footprint (NY Times)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 11 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- SEJ Backgrounder: Green New Deal Proposes Sweeping Economic Transformation (Society of Environmental Journalists)
- Explainer: The 'Green New Deal': Mobilizing for a just, prosperous, and sustainable economy (New Consensus)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page