IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: It's a big week for the planet, as U.N. climate conference kicks off in Egypt; Major glaciers to disappear by 2050; PLUS: Rare late-season storm Nicole takes aim at Florida's east coast... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
Got comments, tips, love letters, hate mail? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): World faces 'terminal' loss of Arctic sea ice during summers; Why scientists are using the word scary over the climate crisis; Experts Fear Musk’s Twitter Scandals Signal More Climate Disinformation; Arizona Water Sucked Dry by Saudis; Bitcoin mining is drowning out the sound of Niagara Falls; Colorado River conditions are worsening quicker than expected; White House Releases Net-Zero Road Map... PLUS: Michael Bloomberg Announces New Initiative To Phase Out Coal In 25 Countries.... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Rare November storm Nicole threatens Florida:
- Subtropical Storm Nicole puts parts of South Florida under tropical storm warning and hurricane watch (South Florida Sun Sentinel)
- VIDEO: Subtropical Storm Nicole Prompts Hurricane Watch For Florida's East Coast (Weather Channel)
- Critical 2022 midterm elections underway in U.S.:
- Energy issues prominent in midterm closing arguments (E&E News)
- 2022 midterms have "significant stakes for the climate." These are the state and local measures to watch. (CBS News)
- For EVs, solar tax breaks and climate change, here are the midterm elections that matter (MarketWatch)
- 2022 Could Have Been the Climate Change Election-Except Democrats Don't Want to Talk About It (The New Republic)
- GOP fumes over climate law. Is there a will for repeal? (E&E News)
- Conservatives urge McCarthy to disband climate committee (E&E News)
- WMO: Last 8 years were hottest ever recorded:
- Eight warmest years on record witness upsurge in climate change impacts (World Meterological Organization)
- VIDEO: Past 8 years were the warmest on record, U.N. agency says (CBS News)
- Rate of sea level rise 'has doubled since 1993' thanks to climate change, report finds (Yahoo News)
- UNESCO: Major glaciers to disappear by 2050:
- Iconic World Heritage glaciers to disappear by 2050, warns UNESCO (UN News)
- Major glaciers in Kilimanjaro and Yosemite will disappear by 2050, UN says (CNBC):
Even if global temperature rise is limited to 1.5 degrees Celsius, an increasingly unlikely scenario, at least one-third of the glaciers across the World Heritage sites will disappear by 2050.
- Major glaciers, including in Yosemite and Kilimanjaro, will be gone within 23 years due to climate change, U.N. report warns (CBS News)
- VIDEO: ABC Report on Switzerland's Vanishing Glaciers (Climate Crocks)
- COP27: Climate finance takes center stage:
- COP27: UN climate talks kick off in Egypt amid major world crises (EuroNews)
- Live updates: BBC Coverage of COP27 (BBC)
- COP27 Climate Summit: Here's What Happened on Monday at the COP27 Climate Summit (NY Times)
- Developing Nations Have a Message at Global Climate Talks: Polluters, Pay Up (NY Times)
- In a First, U.N. Climate Summit Will Discuss Climate Reparations (E&E News)
- UN chief: It is either a 'climate change solidarity pact' or a 'suicide pact' (Axios)
- loss and damage
- VIDEO: UN Secretary General António Guterres at the Opening Ceremony of the World Leaders Summit (United Nations)
- VIDEO: Al Gore at the Opening of the #COP27 World Leaders Summit (United Nations)
- Why these climate talks are different than other COPs (E&E News)
- Countries Want to Plant Trees to Offset Their Carbon Emissions, but There Isn't Enough Land on Earth to Grow Them (Inside Climate News)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- World faces 'terminal' loss of Arctic sea ice during summers, report warns (Guardian UK)
- Why scientists are using the word scary over the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- Experts Fear Musk’s Twitter Scandals Signal More Climate Disinformation (Inside Climate News)
- French Nuclear Giant Warns of Low Generation (Climate Crocks)
- Bitcoin mining is drowning out the sound of Niagara Falls - here's how (EuroNews)
- Arizona Water Sucked Dry by Saudis (Climate Crocks)
- Corpus Christi Sold Its Water to Exxon, Gambling on Desalination. So Far, It's Losing the Bet (Inside Climate News)
- Chemical Plant Fire: Coastal Georgia communities told to evacuate due to massive blaze (WJCL-TV Savannah)
- Colorado River conditions are worsening quicker than expected. Feds prepare to step in. (Denver Post)
- White House Releases Net-Zero Road Map (E&E News)
- Michael Bloomberg Announces New Initiative To Phase Out Coal In 25 Countries (NY Times)
- Lead Pipes: Will Wisconsin Steer Funds to Those Who Need It Most? (Inside Climate News)
- Beyond Catastrophe: A New Climate Reality Is Coming Into View (gift link, no paywall - NY Times)
- Feeling Overwhelmed About Going All-Electric at Home? Here's How to Get Started (Inside Climate News)
- Focusing on the climate actions that can make a real difference (David Roberts, Volts)
- VIDEO: See what three degrees of global warming looks like (The Economist/YouTube)
- The 7 climate tipping points that could change the world forever (Grist)
- The 1977 White House climate memo that should have changed the world (Guardian UK)
- Four solutions to mitigate climate change, from the IPCC (Dr. Michael Mann, Penn Today)
- UN warns Earth 'firmly on track toward an unlivable world' (AP)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.