IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Cascading consequences of extreme heat are piling up. Scientists warn it will get worse; E.U. warns member nations to conserve gas as Russia tightens its grip; PLUS: President Biden announces plans for Executive Actions to tackle climate change... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
Got comments, tips, love letters, hate mail? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): The terrifying truth: Britain’s a hothouse, but one day 40C will seem cool; Here's how the climate crisis is driving heat waves and wildfires; Diesel fuel spill fouls Bahama's white sand beaches; War and warming upend global energy supplies, amplify suffering; Biden Admin tosses Trump habitat rule curbing protections for endangered species; The science of heat domes and how drought and climate change make them worse; Starvation threat not over for Florida manatees; California forests are vanishing as wildfires burn larger and more intensely... PLUS: 'The scale is hard to grasp': Avian flu wreaks devastation on wild seabirds ... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Prolonged extreme heat still broiling the Northern Hemisphere:
- Parts of the US bake under triple digit temperatures with no let up in sight (CNN)
- Extreme Heat Prompts Alerts In 28 States As Texas, Oklahoma Hit 115 (Washington Post)
- UK: Extreme heat is baking a country woefully unprepared for the climate crisis (CNN)
- VIDEO: Met Office Chief of Science and Technology, Professor Stephen Belcher: Record heat virtually impossible without human-caused climate change (Twitter)
- Record breaking temperatures for the UK (UK Met Office)
- Humanity faces 'collective suicide' over climate crisis, warns UN chief (Guardian UK)
- Cascading consequences pile up up from vast extreme heat wave:
- Heat wave kills more than 1,900 people in Spain and Portugal (Axios)
- The devastating economic toll of severe heat waves (CBS News)
- The Rhine Is Inches From Being Too Shallow for Shipments (Bloomberg/Yahoo News)
- Nuclear Power Plants Are Struggling to Stay Cool (Wired)
- Europe's power system feels the heat as cooling demand soars (Reuters)
- Germany Solar Sets New Record, While French Nuclear Gasps in Heat (Climate Crocks)
- EU warns member countries to conserve gas as Russia tightens its grip:
- EU Urges Countries To Cut Gas Consumption By 15% (Oil Price)
- Russia-to-Germany Gas Pipeline Resumes Operations at Reduced Rate of Flow (Democracy Now!)
- Europe plans to force countries to ration gas as Russia weaponizes energy (CNN):
EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said Wednesday that a total shut off of Russian gas was a "likely scenario." "Russia is blackmailing us. Russia is using energy as a weapon," she said in a press conference announcing the new plan.
- Putin warns of Nord Stream 1 gas capacity cuts over equipment repairs (Reuters/Yahoo News)
- IEA: Europe Vulnerable to Russia’s Gas War (Climate Crocks)
- Germany Risks Cascading Failure as Russia, Climate Pressures Rise (Climate Crocks):
Germany should prepare for deeper cuts in Russian gas supplies because President Vladimir Putin is pursuing a conscious strategy of driving up prices to undermine European unity, Economy Minister Robert Habeck said.
- VIDEO: EU Commission Pres. Ursula von der Leyen: "Russia is using gas as a weapon." (Twitter)
- Biden unveils plans for executive actions to tackle climate change:
- VIDEO: President Biden Pledges Executive Actions to Address Climate Change "Emergency" (C-SPAN)
- Transcript: Remarks by President Biden on Actions to Tackle the Climate Crisis (White House)
- FACT SHEET: President Biden’s Executive Actions on Climate to Address Extreme Heat and Boost Offshore Wind (White House)
- Biden announces modest climate actions; pledges more to come (AP)
- 'The world is counting on us': Biden vows to tackle climate ‘emergency’ – live (Guardian UK)
- Biden announces new climate change programs, but no emergency declaration (CNBC)
- Biden's new steps on climate to fall short of 'emergency' designation (Reuters)
- What Joe Manchin Cost Us (op-ed, Dr. Leah Stokes, NY Times)
- Report: The Climate President's Emergency Powers [PDF] (EarthJustice)
- With Congress Unwilling to Act, Pressure Grows on Biden to Declare National Climate Emergency (Democracy Now!)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- The terrifying truth: Britain’s a hothouse, but one day 40C will seem cool (Guardian UK)
- The climate crisis is driving heat waves and wildfires. Here's how (CNN)
- Fuel Spills In The Bahamas Near White Sand Beaches Of Great Exuma (Reuters)
- Aviation Faces Hurdles To Hit Goals For Cutting Emissions (AP)
- War and Warming Upend Global Energy Supplies and Amplify Suffering (NY Times)
- Endangered Species: Biden Admin Tosses Trump Habitat Rule (E&E News)
- The science of heat domes and how drought and climate change make them worse (Washington Post)
- Shifting Sands: Carolina’s Outer Banks Face a Precarious Future (Yale e360)
- Officials: Starvation Threat Not Over For Florida Manatees (AP)
- Most Major Nations Lag In Acting On Climate-Fighting Goals (AP)
- 'The Scale Is Hard To Grasp': Avian Flu Wreaks Devastation On Seabirds (Guardian UK)
- Calif. Forests Are Vanishing As Wildfires Burn Larger And More Intensely (LA Times)
- Offshore Fish Farms: Source Of Food Production - Or Of Ocean Pollution? (Guardian UK)
- Polar Bears Scavenge On Garbage To Cope With Climate Change (Reuters)
- Storing carbon a mile and a half beneath Stanislaus County could help save the planet (Modesto Bee)
- The 1977 White House climate memo that should have changed the world (Guardian UK)
- Four solutions to mitigate climate change, from the IPCC (Dr. Michael Mann, Penn Today)
- UN warns Earth 'firmly on track toward an unlivable world' (AP)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- "Rare Earths" from Coal Waste (Climate Crocks)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- Green Upheaval: The New Geopolitics of Energy (Foreign Affairs)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- Guilt, grief and anxiety as young people fear for climate's future (Reuters)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- An Empire of Dying Wells: Old oil and gas sites are a climate menace. Meet the company that owns more of America's decaying wells than any other. (Bloomberg)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 9 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.