IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Biden EPA unveils new rules to clean up deadly smog and pollution; Australia pummeled by weeks of record rains and deadly flooding; Russia's invasion of Ukraine underscores strategic vulnerability of fossil fuel dependence; PLUS: Consumers pay at the pump while Big Oil pulls in big profits... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
Got comments, tips, love letters, hate mail? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): A windfall profits tax would be an inflation rebate; Here's who stands to win from high gas prices; Has the Russian energy ban broken the resistance to a sustainable future?; As US rushes for energy minerals, 1872 mining law allows miners free rein; Manchin comes out against Fed nominee Sarah Bloom Raskin; How you can reduce your gasoline consumption... PLUS: Court rules Duke Energy can't make customers pay for coal-ash cleanup costs... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Russia's invasion of Ukraine upends energy geopolitics and climate action:
- The climate spillover of Russia's invasion of Ukraine (Axios):
Russia's war on Ukraine could speed or slow the global transition to clean energy, with pressures already apparent in both directions.
- China Seeks to Cut Reliance on Coal Imports With Mining Boom (Bloomberg)
- Russia using energy as a weapon:
- Ukraine reports seizure of major gas infrastructure (E&E News):
One of the chief economic fears of Europeans otherwise out of harm's way from Russia's invasion of Ukraine is that natural gas supplies could be cut off to large sections of the continent. The conflict lurched in that direction yesterday when Russian troops seized two pipeline compressor stations along a major export pipeline that runs through Ukraine.
- Europe Could Plunge Into Recession If Russia Cuts Its Gas Supply (Oil Price)
- Russia Focuses Economic Weapons, Not Just Military Ones (The Street)
- Global crude prices fall but not for consumers, while Big Oil makes big bucks:
- Oil prices are falling fast. It will take longer for gas prices to come down. (Boston GlobeMSN)
- Gas prices fall --- a little (CNN)
- The Oil Crisis Is Making Fossil Fuel Executives Cocky and Vengeful (The New Republic):
At the annual CERAWeek conference, CEOs from companies like Tellurian and Shell argued they should have a bigger seat at the table.
- All-American Oligarchs: The Big Oil CEOs Profiting From War In Ukraine (Bailout Watch):
Amid the fog of rumor and accusation that has accompanied the war in Ukraine, one thing is clear: Big Oil is absolutely using the resulting run-up in fuel prices to price-gouge and profiteer. Not only are top oil executives billions of dollars richer; they are using the rapid spike in profit and personal wealth to cash out and pay off wealthy investors and insiders.
- Oil giant BP reports highest profit in 8 years on soaring commodity prices (CNBC)
- The GOP's Biggest Whoppers About Biden And Fossil Fuels (Huffington Post)
- US Oil/Gas Drillers Holding Production Down, Despite Record Prices. Good Time to Move to Renewables... (Climate Crocks)
- National emergency in Australia from record rains, floods:
- Australia declares national emergency over severe east coast floods (Axios):
"We are dealing with a different climate to the one we were dealing with before. I think that’s just an obvious fact,” Morrison said during a visit to Lismore, an area affected by the flooding. “And Australia is getting hard to live in because of these disasters."
- VIDEO: 'Australia Is Getting Harder to Live In': Unending Rain, Growing Floods' (NY Times)
- Scott Morrison says defence force ‘not available on a moment’s notice’ to respond to floods disaster (Guardian UK)
- Devastating Australia flooding is the country's latest state of emergency of the climate change era (Yahoo News)
- Biden EPA unveils new rules to clean up deadly smog and truck pollution:
- EPA expands reach of ozone regulations (E&E News)
- EPA unveils plan to cut interstate smog pollution from power plants (Reuters)
- In Texas speech, Biden’s EPA chief puts power plants on notice for pollution (Washington Post)
- VIDEO: EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan on costs of pollution (Twitter)
- VIDEO: EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan urges climate action (Twitter)
- Biden Administration Stops Short of Electric Vehicle Mandates for Trucks (Inside climate News)
- E.P.A. to Tighten Tailpipe Rules for the Biggest Polluters on the Road (NY Times)
- EPA Restores California's Authority To Set Its Own Auto Pollution Rules (LA Times)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- A Windfall Profits Tax Would Be an Inflation Rebate (The American Prospect)
- Here's Who Stands To Win From High Gas Prices (The Hill)
- After the Russian Energy Ban: We missed the moment for a cheap green transition, but may have broken the resistance to a sustainable future. (The American Prospect)
- Why gas prices are so high and what Biden can do about it (Axios)
- As US Rushes for Energy Minerals, 1872 Law Allows Miners Free Rein (Inside Climate News)
- How can I reduce my gas consumption? (Deutsche-Welle News)
- Manchin Comes Out Against Fed Nominee Sarah Bloom Raskin (E&E News)
- Court: Duke Can’t Make Customers Pay Coal-Ash Cleanup Costs (Indianopolis Star)
- Judge Axes Trump-Era Lease Sales To Protect Sage Grouse (E&E News)
- Iowa's Second 'Ag-Gag' Law Violates 1st Amendment, Federal Court Rules (Des Moines Register)
- Brazil Detects Record Amazon Deforestation in Jan. and Feb. (AP)
- House Dems Seek Probe of USPS Plan For New Mail Truck Fleet (AP)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- "Rare Earths" from Coal Waste (Climate Crocks)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- Green Upheaval: The New Geopolitics of Energy (Foreign Affairs)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- Guilt, grief and anxiety as young people fear for climate's future (Reuters)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- An Empire of Dying Wells: Old oil and gas sites are a climate menace. Meet the company that owns more of America's decaying wells than any other. (Bloomberg)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 9 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.