IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: President Biden moves to undo even more of Trump's attacks on the environment; Biden will use the power of the government purse to boost electric vehicles made in the U.S.; PLUS: Court strikes fatal blow to Trump's polluting power plant rule... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Earth Is Now Losing 1.2 Trillion Tons Of Ice Each Year; Climate Scientist Michael Mann: Deniers Are Shifting Tactics; Jair Bolsonaro Could Face Charges In The Hague Over Amazon Rainforest; Officials Hail 'Encouraging' Number Of N Atlantic Right Whale Births; Eminent Domain Lets Pipeline Developers Take Land From Black Owners... PLUS: Planting Crops — And Carbon, Too... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- President Joe Biden moves to undo more of Trump's environmental damages:
- Tracking Biden's environmental actions (Washington Post)
- AP sources: Biden to pause oil drilling on public lands (AP):
President Joe Biden is set to announce a wide-ranging moratorium on new oil and gas leasing on U.S. lands, as his administration moves quickly to reverse Trump administration policies on energy and the environment and address climate change...
- Biden halts oil and gas leases, permits on US land and water (AP):
The Biden administration announced Thursday a 60-day suspension of new oil and gas leasing and drilling permits for U.S. lands and waters, as officials moved quickly to reverse Trump administration policies on energy and the environment.
- Biden halts border wall building after Trump's final surge (AP)
- Biden Reinstates Obama-Era Federal Flood Protection Standard (NRDC)
- Biden EPA asks DOJ to hit pause on defense of Trump-era rules (The Hill)
- Biden's 'Buy America' plan to use government purchasing power to shift to EVs:
- Biden signs 'Buy American' order, pledges to renew U.S. manufacturing (Reuters):
President Joe Biden vowed on Monday to leverage the purchasing power of the U.S. government, the world's biggest single buyer of goods and services, to strengthen domestic manufacturing and create markets for new technologies.
- Biden says he will replace the entire federal fleet with electric vehicles (ABC):
Biden's "Made in America" executive order, signed on Monday, aims to fulfill a campaign promise to increase the amount of federal spending that goes to American companies. The order essentially closes loopholes that allowed foreign products to be purchased, among other measures to boost American manufacturing.
- VIDEO: President Biden Delivers Remarks on Manufacturing (C-SPAN)
- Transcript: Joe Biden Speech on American Manufacturing Transcript January 25 (Rev.com):
The federal government also owns an enormous fleet of vehicles, which we're going to replace with clean electric vehicles made right here in America by American workers, creating millions of jobs, a million auto worker jobs, and clean energy, and vehicles that are net zero emissions.
- Court revokes Trump's weak power plant emissions rule:
- Court Strikes Down Trump Rollback of Climate Regulations for Coal-Fired Power Plants (Inside Climate News):
The court found that the Trump administration’s replacement rule, the Affordable Clean Energy rule, failed to provide adequate environmental and public health protections and that it “hinged on a fundamental misconstruction” of the Clean Air Act. "The question in this case is whether the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) acted lawfully in adopting the 2019 Affordable Clean Energy Rule (ACE Rule) as a means of regulating power plants’ emissions of greenhouse gases," the judges wrote. "It did not."
- 'Major Win for the Planet': Federal Court Strikes Down Trump Coal Power Plant Rule (Common Dreams)
- A federal court just struck down Trump’s attempt to make power plants even dirtier (Vox)
- Electric vehicles close to 'tipping point', Audi shifts away from ICE engines:
- Electric vehicles close to ‘tipping point’ of mass adoption (Guardian UK):
Sales increase 43% globally in 2020 as plunging battery costs mean the cars will soon be the cheapest vehicles to buy.
- Audi announces end of combustion A4, A6 & A8 models (Electrive)
- Electric Car Batteries With Five-Minute Charging Times Produced (Guardian UK)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Schumer Calls For Biden To Declare Climate Emergency (The Hill)
- Biden Sets in Motion Plan to Ban New Oil and Gas Leases on Federal Land (NY Times)
- Earth Is Now Losing 1.2 Trillion Tons Of Ice Each Year (Washington Post)
- Climate Scientist Michael Mann: Deniers Are Shifting Tactics (E&E News)
- Jair Bolsonaro Could Face Charges In The Hague Over Amazon Rainforest (Guardian UK)
- Eminent Domain Lets Pipeline Developers Take Land From Black Owners (Inside Climate News)
- U.S. To 'Make Good' On Climate Finance Pledges, Kerry Tells Leaders (Reuters)
- Officials Hail 'Encouraging' Number Of N Atlantic Right Whale Births (Guardian UK)
- DuPont, Chemours in $4 Billion ‘Forever Chemicals’ Cost Pact (Bloomberg)
- Buttigieg’s Climate Promises: What Could He Actually Do? (NY Times)
- Planting Crops — And Carbon, Too (Washington Post)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 11 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- SEJ Backgrounder: Green New Deal Proposes Sweeping Economic Transformation (Society of Environmental Journalists)
- Explainer: The 'Green New Deal': Mobilizing for a just, prosperous, and sustainable economy (New Consensus)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page
- NASA Video: If we don't act, here's what to expect in the next 100 years:
- Biden halts oil and gas leases, permits on US land and water (AP):