IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: 2020 tied with 2016 for the hottest year ever recorded; 2020 also shattered the record for billion-dollar weather disasters in the U.S.; PLUS: Fossil fuel industry shutting revolving door on Trump energy staffers... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): The Climate Crisis Will Be Steroids for Fascism; EPA rule exempts many polluting industries from future air regulations; Biden Climate Plan Looks For Buy-in From Farmers Who Are Often Skeptical About Global Warming; Scientists unveil battery breakthrough for energy storage... PLUS: Africa's Great Green Wall receives over $14 billion to stop desertification... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- FWS investigating Florida manatee with word 'Trump' scrawled on its back:
- Federal Authorities Are Looking for the Ghoul Who Carved 'TRUMP' Into a Manatee (Earther):
In an emailed statement, a FWS spokesperson said the manatee did not appear to be seriously harmed based photos and video, and that it “seems that the word was written in algae on the animal’s back.” The agency is still investigating the incident, though.
- VIDEO: Federal officials seek information on manatee harassment (Citrus County Chronicle)
- Manatee found in Florida river with ‘Trump’ scrawled on its back: ‘One hundred percent disturbing’ (Washington Post)
- 2020 tied with 2016 for hottest year on record:
- 2020 Ties 2016 as Hottest Yet, European Analysis Shows (NY Times):
The global average temperature in 2020 was about 2.25 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the average from 1850 to 1900, data from the Copernicus Climate Change Service indicates.
- VIDEO: U.S. breaks record for billion-dollar weather and climate disasters in 2020 (CBS News)
- Data shows 2020 was Europe’s warmest year on record (AP)
- 2020 shatters record for most billion-dollar disasters in a single year in U.S.:
- Billion-Dollar Disasters Shattered U.S. Record in 2020 (Scientific American/E&E News):
The 22 events that each caused at least $1 billion in damage show the increasing costs of climate change.
- Climate change is very expensive, global edition:
- Trump EPA approves first-ever airline emissions rules:
- The EPA Just Set the First-Ever Airline Pollution Standards and They Suck (Earther)
- The EPA has released the first ever pollution regulations for airplanes…but they don't do anything. (Boing Boing)
- Trump stink sinks the lobbyist dreams of Trump energy staffers:
- Energy industry wary of hiring Trump staff (Politico)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- The Climate Crisis Will Be Steroids for Fascism (Earther)
- EPA rule exempts many polluting industries from future air regulations (The Hill)
- Biden Climate Plan Looks For Buy-in From Farmers Who Are Often Skeptical About Global Warming (Inside Climate News)
- Scientists unveil battery breakthrough for energy storage (E&E News/Governors Wind & Solar Energy Coalition)
- Africa: Great Green Wall receives over $14 billion to regreen the Sahel – France, World Bank listed among donors (United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification)
- Ethiopia is set to end its $3.6 billion oil deal with a controversial US firm after probe (Quartz Africa)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 11 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- SEJ Backgrounder: Green New Deal Proposes Sweeping Economic Transformation (Society of Environmental Journalists)
- Explainer: The 'Green New Deal': Mobilizing for a just, prosperous, and sustainable economy (New Consensus)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page