IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Sorry Tucker Carlson and Fox "News", November 2013 was the hottest November on record; Wacky winter weather strikes around the world; Ski the Italian Alps while you still can; Plastic pollution now confirmed in all of the Great Lakes; PLUS: An ingenious new solution to the plastic pollution problem ... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
Got comments, tips, love letters, hate mail? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): 45 fossil fuel disasters industry doesn't want you to know about; Hormone-disrupting chemicals found in water at CO fracking sites; Reddit Science bans climate science deniers; BP targets celebrity chef over oil spill payments; Warren Buffet buys $1B in wind energy; Even slight global warming endangers water supplies; PacNW coal terminals threatened by low coal prices; Only endangered species that provide 'economic benefit' will be saved ... PLUS: Funny: How the media will report the apocalypse! ... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Rachel Maddow Show Now Sponsored By ExxonMobil:
- MSNBC "Leans Forward" Into Running "Native Ads" Promoting Fracking (DeSmog Blog)
- Rachel Maddow Calls Exxon Out for Poor Response to Mayflower Oil Spill (Bold Nebraska)
- Exxon Mobil doled out $2 million for NY fracking advertisements (Politics on the Hudson Blog)
- Natural Gas Spends Big Dollars to Convince People of the Benefits of Fracking (Natural Gas Watch)
- Social Media Campaign Trumps $900,000 Oil and Gas Ad Buy (The Energy Collective)
- Clean Air Act 50th Anniversary:
- How the Clean Air Act Has Saved $22 Trillion in Health-Care Costs (The Atlantic):
Every study that has examined benefits and costs associated with curtailing sources of air pollution has shown that the benefits outweigh the costs by huge margins.
- Air Pollution and the Economic Benefits of the Clean Air Act (EPA.gov)
- Wacky Winter Weather Extremes:
- California 2013 Wildfire Season Goes Out With A Blaze (Climate Progress)
- Central Florida city of Palm Coast assesses tornado damage (WTSP Tampa Bay)
- Snow closes roads in Israel, is a source of wonder in Egypt (LA Times)
- Photos Of The Sphinx Covered In Snow Are Fake (Buzzfeed)
- It's Official: November 2013 is Hottest November On Record:
- Earth has its Warmest November in Recorded History (Dr. Jeff Masters' Weather Underground)
- Faux Pause 2: Warmest November On Record, Reports NASA, As New Studies Confirm Warming Trend (Climate Progress)
- Yeah, About That Global Warming “Pause” … (Phil Plait, Slate)
- Italian Alps Warming Twice As Fast As Global Average:
- Alps Warming At Double The Average Global Rate, New Study Confirms (Climate Progress):
A 2,600-year-old leaf found from a larch tree near the site of Ötzi's discovery reconfirms that glaciers on the Italian Alps, which had remained frozen year-round for thousands of years, are now melting. "Our first results indicate that the current atmospheric warming at high elevation in the Alps is outside the normal cold range held for millennia," Paolo Gabrielli, a scientist at Ohio State University and leader of a six-nation team of glaciologists who made the find, said.
- Tree find confirms Italian alpine melt (Climate News Network)
- Plastic Pollution Confirmed in the Great Lakes:
- Scientists find plastic in all of Great Lakes (AP):
Scientists have found tiny plastic particles in all of the Great Lakes. ...The particles are tiny enough to slip through the screens at wastewater treatment plants and then start their journey across the Great Lakes.
- Scientists Turn Their Gaze Toward Tiny Threats to Great Lakes (NY Times)
- Plastic Pollution Contaminating Fish & May Be Contaminating Your Food:
- How Plastic In The Ocean Is Contaminating Your Seafood (NPR)
- Ingested plastic transfers hazardous chemicals to fish and induces hepatic stress (Nature):
Here, we show that fish, exposed to a mixture of polyethylene with chemical pollutants sorbed from the marine environment, bioaccumulate these chemical pollutants and suffer liver toxicity and pathology.<.div>
- New Recycling Solution to Plastic Pollution Problem:
- VIDEO: Harvesting waste plastic for 3D printers to reduce poverty: Plastic Bank (Treehugger)
- PlasticBank.org: (PlasticBank.org):
The Plastic Bank is setting up plastic repurposing centers around the world, where there’s an abundance of both waste plastic and poverty. We are empowering people to harvest plastics as a currency they can exchange for tools, household items, parts & 3D printing.
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
- What A Year: 45 Fossil Fuel Disasters The Industry Doesn't Want You To Know About (Climate Progress):
While coal, oil, and gas are an integral part of everyday life around the world, 2013 brought a stark reminder of the inherent risk that comes with a fossil-fuel dependent world, with numerous pipeline spills, explosions, derailments, landslides, and the death of 20 coal miners in the U.S. alone.
- How The Media Will Report The Apocalypse: It’s the end of the world as we know it. (Buzzfeed)
- Why Reddit’s Science Forum Banned Climate Deniers (Climate Progress)
- Yeah, About That Global Warming “Pause” … (Phil Plait, Slate)
- BP targets celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse in fight over oil spill payments (NOLA.com)
- Warren Buffett buys $1 billion of wind turbines, the biggest land-based wind power purchase ever (Treehugger)
- It Doesn't Take Much Global Warming To Drive Global Water Scarcity Way Up (Climate Progress)
- Environmentalists Split Over Need For Nuclear Power (NPR)
- Australia approves to build coal export terminal in the Great Barrier Reef (Guardian UK)
- Chemicals Found In Water At Fracking Sites Linked To Infertility, Cancer (Climate Progress)
- Viability of Oregon, Washington coal export terminals threatened by falling Asian prices (Oregon Live)
- Australia applies economic benefit formula to decide which threatened animals to save: (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Case Studies in the Failure of Journalism: Iraq, and Climate Change (Climate Crocks):
[An] ironic similarity is that the same newspapers and the same journalists who beat the war drums a decade ago are now also frequently misrepresenting the risk the world is facing from climate change. After WMDs failed to materialize in post-invasion Iraq, this led to occasional anguish among journalists who regretted that they used "'evidence' now known to be bogus" to push for war. The lethal fallout from misinformation a decade ago primarily affected the people of Iraq. The fallout from misinformation about climate change is likely to affect us all.
- Meat the press: What Rolling Stone's scary farm exposé gets right - and wrong (Grist)
- Just in Time for Black Friday: NRDC's Green Electronics Holiday Shopping Guide 2013 (NRDC)
- Living Green's Green Gadget Gift Guide (Living Green)
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page
- Skeptical Science: Database with FULL DEBUNKING of ALL Climate Science Denier Myths
- Warning: Even in the best-case scenario, climate change will kick our asses (Grist)
- NASA Video: Warming over the last 130 years, and into the next 100 years:
- Video Proof That Global Warming is a 'Hoax'!: NASA Temperature Data 1888-2011 (The BRAD BLOG):
- NASA climate change video: This is the U.S. in 2100 (NASA).