IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: EPA takes control of toxic Ohio train derailment disaster, three weeks later; Rightwing media tries to weaponize Ohio disaster into culture war fodder; PLUS: Surprise! The oil and gas industry has failed to cut climate-warming methane emissions as promised... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Homes in flood zones are overvalued by billions, study finds; Massive coal train derails in Nebraska; Marine commission: Whale deaths not linked to wind prep work; Feds slash Gulf's first wind farm areas to make room for drilling, shipping, fishing; Bird flu kills sea lions and thousands of pelican's in Peru's protected areas; 'Climate-friendly' biofuel is not actually a biofuel, and comes with an astronomical cancer risk; Climate change is making winter weather warmer and "weirder"; Attacks surge on U.S. power grid ... PLUS: The Right has it in for 'woke' investors. The only problem? They don't exist... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- EPA takes control of toxic Ohio train derailment disaster cleanup:
- EPA takes charge of toxic cleanup in Ohio train derailment (AP)
- VIDEO: EPA head visits Ohio after toxic train spill, asks residents to 'trust the government' (PBS NewsHour)
- Norfolk Southern is paying $6.5 million to derailment victims. Meanwhile, it's shelling out $7.5 billion for shareholders (CNN)
- Train crew did not receive safety alert until just before Ohio derailment, investigators say (AP)
- Poisoning America for profit: A brief history of Norfolk Southern's greed (Liberation Magazine)
- State and federal officials launch enforcement actions against Norfolk Southern:
- Governor's office in Pennsylvania makes a criminal referral in Ohio train derailment (NPR)
- Buttigieg urges safety changes after fiery Ohio derailment (AP)
- Buttigieg calls for higher maximum fines for railroad safety breaches (Washington Post)
- Transportation Secretary Buttigieg visits train derailment site in East Palestine, Ohio (PBS NewsHour)
- Green Groups Call On Buttigieg To Restore Obama-Era Train Brake Rule (The Hill)
- Republicans, rightwing media try to weaponize Ohio train disaster:
- Ohio train derailment: How FEMA and other federal agencies are aiding East Palestine (Politifact):
Misleading social media claims have sowed confusion about the status of federal aid for East Palestine.
- Buttigieg pushes for safety improvements after fiery Ohio derailment (AP)
- Trump's environmental rollbacks in focus on visit to Ohio toxic train site (Guardian)
- AP NewsBreak: Trump Admin. miscalculated benefit of better train brakes (AP, 12/20/2018)
- Right-wing media weaponize the East Palestine train derailment to claim white conservatives are being persecuted (Media Matters)
- White House blames Trump administration and Republicans over East Palestine, Ohio spill (USA Today)
- IEA: oil and gas industry has failed to cut methane emissions as promised:
- It would take less than 3% of Big Oil’s profits to clean up methane emissions (Grist):
"Methane cuts are among the cheapest options to limit near-term global warming," Fatih Birol, executive director of the International Energy Agency, or IEA, said in a statement outlining the findings. "There is just no excuse."
- 'No Excuse': IEA Tells Energy Firms As Methane Emissions Rise (Reuters)
- Methane emissions are stubborn and that's not good (Axios)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- A coal train derailment in Nebraska involving 31 cars sparks emergency response (CBS News)
- Homes in flood zones are overvalued by billions, study finds (Grist)
- Marine commission: Whale deaths not linked to wind prep work (AP)
- Biden administration announces first-ever wind energy lease sale in Gulf of Mexico (CNN)
- Feds slash Gulf's first wind farm areas to make room for drilling, shipping, fishing (NOLA)
- The Right Has It In for Woke Investors. The Only Problem? They Don’t Exist. (The New Republic)
- Bird Flu Kills Sea Lions And 1000s Of Pelicans In Peru's Protected Areas (Reuters)
- Brazil Amazon deforestation drops in Lula’s first month in office (Al Jazeera)
- This 'Climate-Friendly' Fuel Comes With an Astronomical Cancer Risk (Pro Publica)
- Farmers Under Attack by Coordinated, Nationally Directed, Dirty Energy Campaign (Climate Crocks)
- VIDEO: Attacks on Power Grid Surge (Climate Crocks)
- Nearby derailments have Cleveland officials on alert (Axios)
- 'Ok, Doomer': Influencers tell us the planet is doomed. It’s a dangerous myth (The Times of London)
- Climate change is making winter weather warmer and "weirder" (CBS News)
- It’s Not the Flu, Feed, or Fuel. Profiteering Is Driving Record Egg Prices. (The Sling)
- Waste management company unveils first fully integrated electric recycle and waste truck (Electrek)
- Building Steam in Lithium Valley (The American Prospect)
- Feeling Overwhelmed About Going All-Electric at Home? Here's How to Get Started (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: See what three degrees of global warming looks like (The Economist/YouTube)
- The 7 climate tipping points that could change the world forever (Grist)
- The 1977 White House climate memo that should have changed the world (Guardian UK)
- Four solutions to mitigate climate change, from the IPCC (Dr. Michael Mann, Penn Today)
- UN warns Earth 'firmly on track toward an unlivable world' (AP)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.