IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: President Biden touts climate action and infrastructure upgrades in State of the Union address; Surprise! BP weakens climate targets amid record profits; FBI disrupts neo-Nazi plot to attack Baltimore power grid; PLUS: Minnesota enacts ambitious law to go 100% carbon-free electricity by 2040... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Embattled Adani embarks on coal fire sale to boost liquidity; Oil industry-backed effort puts new California oil well ban put on hold for voters to decide; Heat pumps are defying Maine’s winters and oil industry pushback; BP says demand for oil and gas will drop dramatically by 2050 in 'decisive shift';14 million Americans live near plants emitting cancer-causing gas; Communities on front lines of pesticide exposure fight for change; Drought may have doomed this ancient empire; Brazil pushes illegal miners out of indigenous Yanomami territory... PLUS: Drifting Toward Disaster: Breaking the Brazos
... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- President Biden touts climate action and infrastructure upgrades in State of the Union address:
- VIDEO: 2023 State of the Union Address (C-SPAN)
- America, meet Biden’s climate bill (E&E News)
- Biden's State of the Union Defines Climate Action as Common Sense (Time)
- Three Climate Takeaways From Biden's Second State of the Union (Bloomberg/Yahoo News)
- Biden Says US Is Going to Need Oil, Gas for a While (Yahoo News)
- Biden ribs GOP lawmakers during SOTU: 'I'll see you at the groundbreaking' (Axios)
- Biden Wants To Quadruple The Tax On Big Oil's Stock Buybacks (Oil Price)
- BP weakens climate targets amid record oil profits:
- BP scales back climate targets as profits hit record (BBC)
- BP dials back climate pledge amid soaring oil profits (Washington Post/MSN)
- FBI arrests neo-Nazis in plot to attack Baltimore electric grid substations:
- A Neo-Nazi Duo Planned to Attack the Baltimore Electric Grid and 'Destroy the City,' FBI Says (Earther):
In the criminal complaint, Clendaniel told an FBI informant in January that she was a felon and had a terminal illness related to her kidneys. Given that she only had a few months left to live, Clendaniel stated that she wanted to "accomplish something worthwhile" before she died, which apparently included attacking five substations in one day within the next month. "It would probably permanently completely lay this city to waste if we could do that successfully," she said.
- VIDEO: Neo-Nazi leader among 2 arrested in plot to attack Baltimore's power grid, feds say (NBC News)
- Woman plotted with neo-Nazi to attack power grid, feds say (AP)
- Minnesota enacts ambitious new climate/clean energy standard:
- Minnesota Will Require 100 percent Carbon-Free Electricity by 2040 (Earther/Yahoo News) [emphasis added]:
State Republicans opposed the clean energy standard on the grounds that it would make electricity in the state more expensive and less reliable...Multiple analyses of existing state-level clean energy standards show the mandates have actually improved grid reliability and reduced costs for consumers.Multiple analyses of existing state-level clean energy standards show the mandates have actually improved grid reliability and reduced costs for consumers.
- VIDEO: Gov. Walz signs '100 Percent by 2040' energy bill into law (CBS News)
- Minnesota Senate passes bill requiring 100% clean energy by 2040 (Duluth News Tribune)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Embattled Adani Embarks On A Coal Fire Sale To Boost Liquidity (Oil Price)
- New California oil well ban put on hold for voters to decide (AP)
- Heat pumps are defying Maine’s winters and oil industry pushback (Washington Post)
- BP says demand for oil and gas will drop dramatically by 2050 in 'decisive shift' (CNBC)
- Oil Lies, People Die (Hill Heat)
- Adrift: Communities On Front Lines Of Pesticide Exposure Fight For Change (Environmental Health News)
- 14 Million Americans Live Near Plants Emitting Cancer-Causing Gas: Report (The Hill)
- Million-Strong Army Of Environmental Super Voters Recruits In 2 Red States (Huffington Post)
- The Race to Waterproof Your Outdoor Gear - Without Toxic Chemicals (Bloomberg Green)
- First-in-US Green Concrete Tax Break Offered as Model for States (Bloomberg Green)
- Brazil Pushes Illegal Miners Out Of Yanomami Territory (AP)
- Drifting Toward Disaster: Breaking the Brazos (Texas Observer)
- Drought May Have Doomed This Ancient Empire" — A Climate Warning (Washington Post)
- The U.N. Secretary-General's searing message for the fossil fuel industry (New Yorker)
- Building Steam in Lithium Valley (The American Prospect)
- Feeling Overwhelmed About Going All-Electric at Home? Here's How to Get Started (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: See what three degrees of global warming looks like (The Economist/YouTube)
- The 7 climate tipping points that could change the world forever (Grist)
- The 1977 White House climate memo that should have changed the world (Guardian UK)
- Four solutions to mitigate climate change, from the IPCC (Dr. Michael Mann, Penn Today)
- UN warns Earth 'firmly on track toward an unlivable world' (AP)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.