IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Big Oil posts all-time high record profits; Biden hits the road to promote long-awaited infrastructure upgrades; Earth saw 42 billion-dollar weather disasters in 2022; PLUS: Biden EPA finally vetoes Alaska's controversial proposed Pebble Mine... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
Got comments, tips, love letters, hate mail? Drop us a line at GreenNews@BradBlog.com or right here at the comments link below. All GNRs are always archived at GreenNews.BradBlog.com.
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Biden Admin. recommends major Alaska oil project; Clean energy saw as much investment as fossil fuels for the first time in 2022; Arizona copper mine proposal could advance clean energy but scar sacred tribal lands; One of climate change's great mysteries - clouds --- may finally be solved; How just 25 oil companies are set to blow the world’s 1.5°C carbon budget; Global elite produce almost half greenhouse emissions, UN saysPLUS: The right words are crucial to solving climate change ... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- 42 weather billion-dollar weather disasters in 2022 globally:
- Dozens of billion-dollar weather disasters hit Earth in 2022 (Eye on the Storm/Yale Climate Connections):
"The fingerprints of climate change were visible on virtually every major weather and climate event in 2022, once again highlighting the urgency to implement proper planning and investment strategies that will limit the risk to life and property,' noted the Gallagher Re report. However, it is difficult to quantify how much climate change contributed to these disaster losses since the dominant cause of increasing damages in recent years is thought to be because of an increase in wealth and exposure - in other words, more people with more stuff living in vulnerable areas.
- 18 billion-dollar weather disasters struck U.S. in 2022 (AP/WSFA)
- Natural Catastrophe Report of 2022 [PDF] (Gallagher Re)
- Big Oil pulled in all-time high profits in 2022:
- Exxon smashes Western oil majors' profits with $56 billion in 2022 (Reuters):
Oil majors are expected to break their own annual records on high prices and soaring demand, pushing their combined take to near $200 billion. The scale has renewed criticism of the oil industry and sparked calls for more countries to levy windfall profit taxes on the companies.
- Unprecedented profit for Exxon as travel, and war, heated up (AP)
- AUDIO: Exxon announced record earnings. It's bound to renew scrutiny of Big Oil (NPR)
- Shell Reports Record Profits As Oil Giants-Including Exxon, Chevron-Cash In On Sky-High Prices After Russian Invasion Of Ukraine (Forbes)
- Senate Democrats renew call for oil industry windfall profits tax:
- VIDEO: Members of Congress demand accountability for record-breaking oil profits (Stop Oil Profiteering/Twitter)
- White House blasts Exxon over historical $56 bln annual profit (Reuters):
"The latest earnings reports make clear that oil companies have everything they need, including record profits and thousands of unused but approved permits, to increase production, but they're instead choosing to plow those profits into padding the pockets of executives and shareholders while House Republicans manufacture excuse after excuse to shield them from any accountability," the White House said.
- Biden touts major infrastructure repairs and upgrades in Northeast:
- VIDEO: Biden unveils nearly $300 million in federal funding for Hudson Tunnel Project (ABC News/MSN)
- 'Amtrak Joe' Biden hails plans for big East Coast tunnel fix (AP)
- VIDEO: Biden touts latest infrastructure project, replacing a 150-year-old train tunnel in Baltimore (CNBC)
- Biden announces $292 million for new rail tunnel under Hudson River (CBS News):
In total, the construction is projected to result in 72,000 jobs, according to the White House. The project will renovate the 1910 tunnel already carrying about 200,000 weekday passengers beneath the Hudson between New Jersey and Manhattan, a long-delayed upgrade after decades in which the government underfunded infrastructure.
- Biden highlights grant for Hudson tunnel, takes aim at GOP (Washington Post)
- Biden offers millions and hope for delayed Hudson River tunnel project (Reuters/MSN)
- FACT SHEET: President Biden Kicks off Major Baltimore Rail Tunnel Project Funded by Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (White House)
- EPA issues rare veto of Alaska's proposed Pebble Mine:
- E.P.A. Blocks Long-Disputed Mine Project in Alaska (NY Times):
The Environmental Protection Agency issued a final determination under the Clean Water Act that bans the disposal of mine waste in part of the bay's watershed, about 200 miles southwest of Anchorage. Streams in the watershed are crucial breeding grounds for salmon, but the area also contains deposits of precious-metal ores thought to be worth several hundred billion dollars.
- EPA vetoes Pebble mine (E&E News)
- VIDEO: Sen. Cantwell on EPA block of Pebble Mine development to protect salmon population
- How a salmon scientist got hooked into a battle over the world's largest gold mine (Science, 9/26/2019):
The Pebble Mine could become one of the world's biggest mineral producers, with an open pit nearly as deep as the Grand Canyon and vast infrastructure and waste piles that would stretch for kilometers. Opponents of the project, including Native Alaskan, fishing, and environmental groups, have long argued that the mine's short-term economic benefits would pale in comparison with the long-term risks to Bristol Bay's salmon runs, including toxic runoff and habitat destruction.
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Biden Administration Recommends Major Alaska Oil Project (AP)
- The right words are crucial to solving climate change (Scientific American)
- Clean Energy Saw as Much Investment as Fossil Fuels for the First Time in 2022 (Yale e360)
- Dark Money Group Attacks Climate Investors (Climate Crocks)
- Shell Accused of Greenwashing by Climate Group in SEC Claim (Bloomberg)
- Arizona's Oak Flat: A Copper Mine Could Advance Green Energy but Scar Sacred Land (NY Times)
- One of climate change's great mysteries is finally being solved (Washington Post)
- Scientists Create Biodegradable Plastic Using Solar Energy (EcoWatch)
- Exclusive: How just 25 oil companies are set to blow the world’s 1.5°C carbon budget (Energy Monitor)
- Global elite produce almost half greenhouse emissions, UN says (Financial Times)
- Emissions divide now greater within countries than between them – study (Guardian)
- Green Group Urges California To Limit The Growing Of Almonds And Alfalfa (LA Times)
- Texas Oilfield Waste Company Gave $53,750 to Regulators Overseeing Permit (Inside Climate News)
- Pressure Builds As States Miss Deadline In Colorado River Water Crisis (LA Times)
- Why Are Energy Prices So High? States that have deregulated all or parts of their electricity system tend to have higher rates than the rest of the country. (NY Times)
- Building Steam in Lithium Valley (The American Prospect)
- Feeling Overwhelmed About Going All-Electric at Home? Here's How to Get Started (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: See what three degrees of global warming looks like (The Economist/YouTube)
- The 7 climate tipping points that could change the world forever (Grist)
- The 1977 White House climate memo that should have changed the world (Guardian UK)
- Four solutions to mitigate climate change, from the IPCC (Dr. Michael Mann, Penn Today)
- UN warns Earth 'firmly on track toward an unlivable world' (AP)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.