IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Trump Administration using California wildfires to undermine endangered species and push for more aggressive commercial logging; Amid record heat, Glacier National Park is now on fire; PLUS: Federal court orders Trump's EPA to ban a dangerous pesticide... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): The next five years will be ‘anomalously warm,’ scientists predict; Bayer stock plunges after jury awards man $289 million in Roundup cancer trial; Germany aims to ban glyphosate for 3 years; Significant rise in mosquito 'danger days': study; Tallahassee politicians failing to protect Florida's environment; When a pipeline runs afoul of government rules, officials change the rules; Internal emails show E.P.A. staff objected to agency’s new rules on asbestos use; Coming soon: Wheeler's first big moves on science; Terrified by ‘hothouse Earth’? Don’t despair — do something; This new electric car can charge while you drive... PLUS: How the Weather Channel is documenting the damage of climate change... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Amid record heat, Glacier National Park evacuated due to wildfires:
- Fire threatens historic Glacier lodge after first 100-degree day in park history (SF Gate)
- Saturday Lightning Starts Multiple Fires in Glacier National Park (National Park Service)
- The Last Best Place: Glacier National Park is on fire — and yes, warming is making things worse (Grist)
- 'I had to get out of there': Fire rages around Glacier Park's Lake McDonald (The Missoulian)
- Glacier park staff share challenges of record visitation (AP):
Other National Parks have also been caught in this trap of soaring popularity and stagnant budgets.
- Retreat of Glaciers in Glacier National Park (US Geological Survey)
- July 2018 hottest month on record for California:
- On fire: July was California’s hottest month ever recorded (Washington Post)
- California just had its hottest month on record, and that means more wildfires (Mashable)
- Smoke from the California wildfires is spreading 3,000 miles to New York City (CNN)
- The era of megafires: the crisis facing California and what will happen next (Guardian UK)
- Trump Admin using CA fires as pretext to undermine Endangered Species Act:
- AUDIO: The Insidious Real Story Behind Trump's Bizarre Tweets on CA's Wildfires, with LAT's Michael Hiltzik (The BRAD BLOG)
- In a strikingly ignorant tweet, Trump gets almost everything about California wildfires wrong (LA Times)
- Why Trump Is Blaming California’s Wildfires on Water (The New Republic)
- Interior Sec. Zinke blames environmentalists, lack of logging for CA fires:
- Ryan Zinke sidesteps climate change in broadside blaming ‘radical environmentalists’ for wildfires (Climate Progress)
- Secretary Zinke Misleads the Public About Wildfires and Federal Public Land Management (Legal Planet)
- Ryan Zinke: There are too many trees in the forest. (The New Republic)
- VIDEO: ‘The president’s right’: Interior chief pushes thinning forests to cut fire risk (Sacramento Bee)
- AUDIO: Breitbart News Saturday - Sec. Ryan Zinke - August 11, 2018 (Breitbart):
"We have been held hostage by these environmental terrorists groups that have not allowed public access, that refuse to allow harvest of timber. The fuel load on our forest.. is magnitudes higher."
- We Know How to Protect Homes From Wildfires. Logging Isn’t the Way to Do It (Counterpunch)
- 5 big myths about wildfire (Wilderness.org):
1. Myth: Logging forests prevents wildfires
- Where There’s Fire, Trump Blows Smoke (Editorial Board, NY Times):
The president, either willfully ignorant or playing to his base, tweets nonsense about the California wildfires and refuses to acknowledge the role of climate change in the disaster.
- Climate Change Behind Surge in Western Wildfires (Climate Central)
- Factcheck: How global warming has increased US wildfires (Carbon Brief)
- Appeals Court orders Trump EPA to ban all uses of dangerous pesticide:
- Court Orders EPA To Ban Chlorpyrifos, A Pesticide Linked To Brain Damage In Kids: Pediatricians warned that keeping it on the market put “all children at risk.” (Huffington Post)
- Federal appeals court orders EPA to ban controversial pesticide (Washington Post)
- “Stop Poisoning Children and Farm Workers” Court Tells EPA (Confined Space Labor blog)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- The next five years will be ‘anomalously warm,’ scientists predict: Humans are already making the planet warmer. Now Earth could help speed the process up. (Washington Post)
- Bayer stock plunges after jury awards man $289 million in Roundup cancer trial (Washington Post)
- Germany Aims To End Use Of Glyphosate For 3 Years: Spokesman (Reuters)
- PFAS Investigation Expands To 55 Residential Wells In Richland Township, MI (MLive)
- This new electric car can charge while you drive (Climate Progress)
- How The Weather Channel Is Documenting The Damage Of Climate Change (Fast Company)
- Significant Rise In Mosquito "Disease Danger Days" In U.S., Report Warns (CBS News)
- Tallahassee Politicians Are Failing To Protect Florida’s Environment (Miami Herald)
- When a Pipeline Runs Afoul of Government Rules, Officials Change Rules (Charleston Gazette-Pro Publica)
- E.P.A. Staff Objected to Agency’s New Rules on Asbestos Use, Internal Emails Show (NY Times)
- Coming soon: Wheeler's first big moves on science (E&E News)
- U.S. Energy Secretary applauds North Dakota [coal] for role in energy 'renaissance' (Grand Forks Herald)
- Shipping-Fuel Rule Change Cuts Demand for Canadian Oil (Bloomberg)
- VIDEO: Can Climate Coverage Improve? It Can Hardly Get Worse... (Climate Crocks)
- Terrified by ‘hothouse Earth’? Don’t despair — do something. (Grist)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- AUDIO: An Inconvenient 'BradCast' with Al Gore (The BRAD BLOG):
Guest Host Angie Coiro's exclusive interview with the former Vice President on elections, pollution, persuasion, activism, and hope...
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
- No country on Earth is taking the 2 degree climate target seriously (Vox):
If we mean what we say, no more new fossil fuels, anywhere.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page