IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: On his trip to Britain, Trump proves he knows zip about climate science --- again; Meeting Paris Climate Agreement targets could avert thousands of deaths in the U.S.; PLUS: Climate change now a litmus test in the 2020 Presidential election (at least for Democrats)... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): India roasts under heat wave with temperatures above 120 degrees; Judges give both sides a grilling in youth climate case against the government; Roundup's risks could go well beyond cancer; Companies expect climate change to cost them $1 trillion in 5 years; With state subsidies and a firm hand, China races ahead with electric transport; USFS: 1 billion acres at risk for catastrophic wildfires this summer; DNC rejects request to host climate change-only presidential debate; Satellites show Amazon deforestation rising under Brazil's Bolsonaro... PLUS: Massive ladybug swarm over CA shows up on radar... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- In UK interview, Trump proves he still doesn't grasp basic climate science:
- VIDEO: Donald Trump tells Prince Charles US has 'clean climate' (Guardian UK):
Asked by Piers Morgan if he accepted the science on climate change, Trump said: “I believe there’s a change in weather, and I think it changes both ways. Don’t forget, it used to be called global warming, that wasn’t working, then it was called climate change. Now it’s actually called extreme weather, because with extreme weather you can’t miss.”... And Trump swerved a question about whether the Prince of Wales had persuaded him to move his stance on the climate crisis. “I’ll tell you what moved me is his passion for future generations,” Trump said.
- Does Trump understand how global warming works? (Washington Post)
- Trump chats with the prince. 'He is really into climate' (E&E News)
- AP Fact Check: Trump Didn’t Set Records On Clean Air in US (AP)
- Trump Just Erased Any Doubt That He’s Clueless About Climate Change (Vice)
- VIDEO: Stephen Colbert Nails Piers Morgan for Kissing Trump’s Ass (Daily Beast)
- Here’s what Trump learned after Prince Charles dropped climate science on him (Grist)
- For D-Day, Trump recalls the heroism of ... Donald Trump (op-ed, Washington Post)
- Heat-related deaths to skyrocket in U.S. in absence of Paris Agreement targets:
- Can the Paris Climate Goals Save Lives? Yes, a Lot of Them, Researchers Say (NY Times):
“The numbers are quite astonishing in terms of how many deaths we could afford by limiting global warming to 1.5 degrees from three degrees,” Dr. Lo said. For example, she said, that would allow New York City to avoid 2,716 heat-related deaths during the most extreme temperature years.
- In These U.S. Cities, Heat Waves Will Kill Hundreds More as Temperatures Rise (Inside Climate News):
Even half a degree Celsius makes a difference in the number of lives lost. "At the path we are on, toward 3 degrees Celsius warming, we get into temperatures that people have not previously experienced," said Peter Frumhoff, director of science and policy and chief climate scientist at the Union of Concerned Scientists and a co-author of the study published Wednesday in Science Advances. "The core point is, across these cities, thousands of deaths can be avoided by keeping temperatures within the Paris target."
- Climate change now a litmus test for the 2020 presidential election...for Democrats:
- Climate Change Takes Center Stage as Biden and Warren Release Plans (NY Times)
- Biden's Climate Plan Embraces Green New Deal, Goes Beyond Obama-Era Ambition (Inside Climate News)
- Biden unveils $1.7T climate plan, vows to reject fossil fuel money (Politico):
The campaign also said it would require public companies to share the risks climate change poses to supply chains and operations; enforce tougher appliance standards; move toward decarbonizing the transportation sector, which is responsible for the largest amount of U.S. emissions; develop new fuels to reduce emissions from aviation; and set "aggressive" limits on methane, a potent greenhouse gas, for new and existing oil and gas operations.
- Joe Biden Just Released His Green New Deal. He’s Targeting Net Zero Emissions by 2050. (Mother Jones)
- VIDEO: Joe’s Plan for a Clean Energy Revolution and Environmental Justice (Joe Biden)
- Elizabeth Warren proposes $2 trillion clean energy plan as Green New Deal momentum builds (Washington Post)
- My Green Manufacturing Plan for America (Elizabeth Warren)
- Warren’s ‘Economic Patriotism’ Plan Beats Trump at His Own Game (NY Magazine)
- Global Climate Mobilization: Governor Jay Inslee's Action Plan for American Leadership on the Global Climate Crisis (Jay Inslee)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- ‘It is horrid’: India roasts under heat wave with temperatures above 120 degrees (Washington Post)
- Judges Give Both Sides a Grilling in Youth Climate Case Against the Government (NY Times)
- Roundup's Risks Could Go Well Beyond Cancer (Bloomberg)
- Massive Ladybug Swarm Over California Shows Up On Radar (AP)
- Companies Expect Climate Change to Cost Them $1 Trillion in 5 Years (Wired)
- Tesla Model 3 Cheaper Than Honda Accord — 15 Cost Comparisons (Clean Technica)
- With state subsidies and a firm hand, China races ahead with electric transport (Washington Post)
- 1 Billion Acres at Risk for Catastrophic Wildfires, U.S. Forest Service Warns (KQED)
- Trump takes aim at firefighting jobs with largest federal cut in a decade (Climate Progress)
- DNC argues climate will still be debate topic after nixing dedicated debate. History says otherwise. (Climate Progress)
- Volkswagen’s new electric vehicle ad directly references emissions scandal, teases I.D. BUZZ (Electrek)
- Satellites Show Amazon Deforestation Rising Under Brazil's Bolsonaro (Reuters)
- Companies Leave Some Residents In The Dark After Chemical Emergencies (Houston Chronicle)
- Carnival Will Pay $20 Million Over Pollution From Its Cruise Ships (AP)
- Plan To Expand Hunting, Fishing In Wildlife Refuges Revealed (AP)
- Ex-Michigan Governor's Electronic Devices Seized In Flint Water Probe (Reuters)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- This Is How Human Extinction Could Play Out (Rolling Stone)
- SEJ Backgrounder: Green New Deal Proposes Sweeping Economic Transformation (Society of Environmental Journalists)
- Explainer: The 'Green New Deal': Mobilizing for a just, prosperous, and sustainable economy (New Consensus)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page