Guest Blogged by John Gideon of VotersUnite.org
Forty-one states have voter registration deadlines between Oct. 6 and Oct 20. One of the tools that states need is the online system provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows states to match Social Security Numbers on voter registration forms. So what does the SSA do? They schedule a total shutdown of their National Computer Center Building for annual maintenance from Oct. 10 to Oct. 13.
States are extremely busy right now checking a record number of new voter registrations. Closing down SSA’s online system, even over a weekend, will result in many new registrations not being filed and those new voters not being able to participate in this election. The chair of the Election Assistance Commission, Rosemary Rodriguez, has sent a letter to Social Security Commissioner Michael Astrue asking that the SSA reconsider the date of the shutdown.
There is now evidence, and an investigation by a county District Attorney, that the fraudulent act of “slamming” is happening in two California counties; San Bernardino and San Joaquin. “Slamming” is the act of changing the party affiliation of a voter without their consent and knowledge. ...
- Featured: National: Registration Deadlines and Social Security Computer Shutdown: EAC Chair Urges Delayed System Outage
- National: Prevent unwanted presidencies with paper ballots
- National: Ballots Attract Scrutiny Spurred by Past Problems
- National: Book of Matthew: Hold on to your votes!
Will your vote in the upcoming election count?
- National: Congress Pushes to Bring Youth to the Polls
- National: Be a poll worker and save American democracy
- National: Beware Smoke and Mirrors
- National: Gearing up for a spike in the youth vote
- CA: Counting Every Vote
California's secretary of state says open-source software is needed to safeguard electronic voting systems.
- CA: San Bernardino County - SB County's DA looking into local Dem claim of voter fraud
- CA: San Bernardino County - Voter fraud charges mount
- CA: Voter registration fraud investigation started in San Joaquin County
- CO: It All Comes Down to Colorado?
- CO: Routt County - County urges early voting
High turnout expected for general election
- FL: Provisional ballots could spell trouble
- FL: Opinion - Needless election hand-wringing
- FL: Palm Beach County Circuit Judge Richard Wennet to contest two recounts
- GA: DeKalb County - More than 10,000 vote early
- KS: A.G. warns of voter scams, offers ID theft kit
- OH: 2 Ohio justices step down in cases challenging early-voting procedure
- OH: Lorain County - November vote’s cost to county: $775K
- PA: Counties adding voting machines
- TX: Groups: Extend voter sign-up in Ike-hit counties
- Washington DC: DC elections board certifies primary results
- Washington DC: District's Primary Results Certified
No Rationale Given for Phantom Votes
- WI: State clerks: We're too busy to check voter IDs
- WV: Editorial - Voting Machine Decision Correct
**"Daily Voting News" is meant as a comprehensive listing of reports each day concerning issues related to election and voting news around the country regardless of quality or political slant. Therefore, items listed in "Daily Voting News" may not reflect the opinions of VotersUnite.Org or BradBlog.Com**