IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Biden bans Russian fossil fuel imports, Americans approve, even if it raises gas prices; Europe rapidly overhauls its energy security strategy; Dems eye tax on Big Oil profiteering; PLUS: Global CO2 emissions hit new all-time high last year... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO HELP US CELEBRATE WITH A DONATION!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Myth-busting: America can't solve its gas price problem (or its Russia problem) with drilling; GOP's Biggest Whoppers About Biden And Fossil Fuels; Trump oversaw massive increase in Russian oil imports on his watch; Shell is betting big on offshore wind following UK ban on Russian oil; Right-wing media is pinning the blame on Greta Thunberg and climate activists for Russian invasion of Ukraine; EPA restores CA authority to set its own auto pollution rules; Biden pushes Congress to help burn pit veterans... PLUS: Half of American adults exposed to harmful levels of lead as children... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Biden announces ban on Russian fossil fuel imports:
- Biden leans into climate policy to undercut Putin (E&E News)
- How high can gas prices go? (Vox):
The US ban on Russian imports has a modest effect, but what comes next matters more.
- Pivoting to clean energy can shield the US from wild gas-price swings, White House economist says (Business Insider/MSN)
- VIDEO: Biden announces ban on Russian energy imports (CNN)
- Biden announces Russian oil import ban and warns gas prices could increase even more (NPR)
- Transcript: Remarks by President Biden Announcing U.S. Ban on Imports of Russian Oil, Liquefied Natural Gas, and Coal (White House)
- US Import Ban on Russian Oil a 'Blow to Putin's War Machine,' Says Biden (Common Dreams)
- Biden Bans Oil Imports From Russia, Calling It a 'Blow to Putin's War Machine' (NY Times)
- Former Navy secretary: The addiction to fossil fuels empowers Putin (The Hill)
- Biden, Senate Democrats push back against oil industry profiteering:
- Warren Says Democrats Are Working on a Bill to Tax Big Oil’s Windfall Profits (TruthOut)
- US Oil/Gas Drillers Holding Production Down, Despite Record Prices. Good Time to Move to Renewables... (Climate Crocks)
- Oil companies' profits soared to $174bn this year as US gas prices rose (Guardian UK, 12/6/2021)
- UK, European Union announces ban, rapid shift overhaul energy security strategy:
- UK set to ban Russian oil imports (Yahoo Finance)
- Climate change: EU unveils plan to end reliance on Russian gas (BBC)
- 'Bloody hard, but possible': EU accelerates green energy plans in bid to ditch Russian gas (Busuiness Green)
- Europe Is Rushing To Overhaul Its Energy Security Strategy (Oil Price)
- REPowerEU: Joint European action for more affordable, secure and sustainable energy (European Commission)
- How fast can Europe wean itself off Russian gas? (Canary Media)
- White House discusses 'Heat pumps for Europe' plan:
- Heat pumps can counter Putin and the climate crisis, advocates say (Washington Post):
White House aides were gearing up to announce a ban on U.S. imports of Russian oil, they discussed this very idea.. three people with knowledge of the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.
- McKibben 'Heat Pumps for Peace' Plan Gains Traction With Biden (Common Dreams)
- How heat pump sales are starting to take off around the world (Carbon Brief)
- Want to Push Back on Russia? Get a Heat Pump (Climate Crocks)
- IEA reports energy-related CO2 at all-time high:
- Coal helped drive energy-related CO2 emissions to a record high last year, research says (CNBC)
- Global CO2 emissions rebounded to their highest level in history in 2021 (IEA):
Increased use of coal was the main factor driving up global energy-related CO2 emissions by over 2 billion tonnes, their largest ever annual rise in absolute terms
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
For a comprehensive roundup of daily environmental news you can trust, see the Society of Environmental Journalists' Daily Headlines page
- Myth-busting: America can't solve its gas price problem (or its Russia problem) with drilling (Vox)
- The GOP's Biggest Whoppers About Biden And Fossil Fuels (Huffington Post)
- In Trump's Putin Rehab Tour, One Sticking Point: A Big Jump In Russian Oil On His Watch (Huffington Post)
- Shell Is Betting Big On Offshore Wind Following UK Ban On Russian Oil (Oil Price)
- As Russia’s invasion of Ukraine unfolds, right-wing media is pinning the blame on Greta Thunberg and climate activists (Media Matters)
- How can I reduce my gas consumption? (Deutsche-Welle News)
- VIDEO: Peter Doocy Tried To Snarky With Jen Psaki And It Did Not Go Well (Politics USA)
- E.P.A. to Tighten Tailpipe Rules for the Biggest Polluters on the Road (NY Times)
- EPA Restores California’s Authority To Set Its Own Auto Pollution Rules (LA Times)
- Biden Pushes Congress To Help Burn Pit Veterans (E&E News)
- Half of Americans Exposed to Harmful Levels of Lead as Children (yale e360)
- Biden Administration Stops Short of Electric Vehicle Mandates for Trucks (Inside climate News)
- Environmental Sacrifice Zones: 8 Places We've Given Up-Probably Forever (Environmental Health Network)
- "Rare Earths" from Coal Waste (Climate Crocks)
- Feeling Hopeless About the Climate? Try Our 30-Day Action Plan (The Revelator)
- Green Upheaval: The New Geopolitics of Energy (Foreign Affairs)
- VIDEO: 2050: what happens if we ignore the climate crisis (Guardian UK)
- Guilt, grief and anxiety as young people fear for climate's future (Reuters)
- 99.9 percent Of Scientists Agree Climate Emergency Caused By Humans (Guardian UK)
- An Empire of Dying Wells: Old oil and gas sites are a climate menace. Meet the company that owns more of America's decaying wells than any other. (Bloomberg)
- Climate Fund Choices for Investors Are Multiplying (Bloomberg/Yahoo)
- How climate change could undo 50 years of public health gains (Grist)
- Climate Change Will Force a New American Migration (Pro Publica)
- Exxon's Snake Oil: 100 years of deception (Columbia Journalism Review)
- What Does '12 Years to Act on Climate Change' (Now 9 Years) Really Mean? (Inside Climate News)
- VIDEO: A Message From the Future With Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (The Intercept)
- What genuine, no-bullshit ambition on climate change would look like: How to hit the most stringent targets, with no loopholes. (David Roberts, Vox)
- A Global Shift To Sustainability Would Save Us $26 Trillion (Vox)
- Project Drawdown: 100 Solutions to Reverse Global Warming (Drawdown.org)
- An Optimist's Guide to Solving Climate Change and Saving the World (Vice)
- The great nutrient collapse: The atmosphere is literally changing the food we eat, for the worse. And almost nobody is paying attention. (Politico)
- The world's bleak climate situation, in 3 charts: We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (Vox)
- The Climate Risks We Face (NY Times):
To stabilize global temperature, net carbon dioxide emissions must be reduced to zero. The window of time is rapidly closing to reduce emissions and limit warming to no more than 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit or 2 degrees Celsius above preindustrial levels, the goal set in the Paris climate accord. The further we push the climate system beyond historical conditions, the greater the risks of potentially unforeseen and even catastrophic changes to the climate - so every reduction in emissions helps.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: When will climate change make earth too hot for humans? (New York Magazine):
Famine, economic collapse, a sun that cooks us: What climate change could wreak - sooner than you think.
- A beginner's guide to the debate over 100% renewable energy (Vox):
Clean-energy enthusiasts frequently claim that we can go bigger, that it's possible for the whole world to run on renewables - we merely lack the "political will." So, is it true? Do we know how get to an all-renewables system? Not yet. Not really.