IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: Jeb Bush finally jumps in to the 2016 race; Hillary Clinton pushes for renewable energy; Shell's Arctic drilling rig escapes Seattle; PLUS: The Pope's summer blockbuster, coming soon to a planet near you... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): 8 maps that reveal Americans' incoherent opinions on climate change; Behind The Weather Channel's Inventive Climate Change Campaign Aimed At Conservatives; Overcoming the extraction mindset; Climate Change Creating ‘Longer, More Intense’ Fire Seasons; House GOP Takes Aim At EPA Funding ... PLUS: California Moves To Restrict Water Pumping By Pre-1914 Rights Holders... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Georgia Newspaper Retracts Alert Saying 'The Sun Just Exploded' (Talking Points Memo):
Well, the sun has apparently not exploded. Whether or not the sky is falling remains to be seen. The Athens Banner-Herald on Monday was forced to post a retraction to its website saying, “the sun has not exploded” after mistakenly announcing “the sun just exploded.”
- Jeb Bush Jumps In Race for 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination:
- Jeb Bush in Miami: ‘The campaign begins today’ (Miami Herald)
- Transcript: Read Full Text of Former Gov. Jeb Bush’s Campaign Launch (TIME):
With North American resources and American ingenuity, we can finally achieve energy security for this nation – and with presidential leadership, we can make it happen within five years.
- VIDEO: Fox Host Hits Santorum On Pope And Climate Change: You're Not A Scientist (Talking Points Memo) [emphasis added]:
"If he's not a scientist - and, in fact, he does have a degree in chemistry - neither are you," Wallace said, adding that 80-90 percent of scientists agree that humans contribute to climate change..."If he shouldn't talk about it, should you?" Wallace asked.
- Meet The Only Prominent GOP Presidential Candidate Who Accepts Climate Science (Climate Progress)
- Hillary Clinton Campaign Launch Rally - 'Clean Energy Superpower':
- Hillary Clinton Blasts GOP’s ‘I’m Not A Scientist’ Rhetoric In Campaign Kickoff Speech (Climate Progress)
- Transcript: Read the Full Text of Hillary Clinton’s Campaign Launch Speech (TIME) [emphasis added]
And we will make America the clean energy superpower of the 21st century.
Developing renewable power – wind, solar, advanced biofuels…Building cleaner power plants, smarter electric grids, greener buildings…Using additional fees and royalties from fossil fuel extraction to protect the environment…And ease the transition for distressed communities to a more diverse and sustainable economic future from coal country to Indian country, from small towns in the Mississippi Delta to the Rio Grande Valley to our inner cities, we have to help our fellow Americans.
Now, this will create millions of jobs and countless new businesses, and enable America to lead the global fight against climate change.
- Shell's Arctic Drilling Rig Escapes Seattle Harbor:
- As the Polar Pioneer Left Seattle This Morning, 24 Kayaktivists Got Detained and Fined (The Stranger)
- Shell Arctic oil rig leaves Seattle, met by protesters (King 5 News, Seattle):
The mission of protesters from the start has been to pressure officials to end dependency on oil and stopping Arctic Ocean drilling. They say every minute they cause the Polar Pioneer to be delayed is another minute Pres. Barack Obama can decide to reverse his decision to allow drilling in Alaska.
- VIDEO: The Pope's Summer Blockbuster: 'The Encyclical'
- Themes of the Pope’s Encyclical on Climate, Equity and the Environment Emerge in Italian Leak (NYT Dot Earth)
- “We are not God”: Pope Francis’ leaked encyclical rails against exploitation of fossil fuels (Climate Progress)
- Pope Francis warns of destruction of world's ecosystem in leaked encyclical (Guardian UK):
Vatican condemns early release of document in which pontiff calls on people to change their lifestyles and energy consumption or face grave consequences./div>
- VIDEO: Pope Francis: The Encyclical (Observatorio de Clima)
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
- 8 maps that reveal Americans' incoherent opinions on climate change (Vox.com):
Here's a puzzler: more people believe climate change is happening than believe that scientists believe climate change is happening. Why, Americans? For whatever reason, it appears the long effort to push the consensus message has not been very successful. (Worth noting: the consensus message is true.)
- Behind The Weather Channel's Inventive Climate Change Campaign Aimed At Conservatives (Climate Progress) [emphasis added]:
The Weather Channel has gone hawkish on climate change. It has started web- and broad-casting short but blunt messages from “25 influential voices on climate change, security, energy and peace.”
But the Weather Channel has focused on one particular target audience — conservatives.
- Overcoming the extraction mindset (Seth Godin):
For generations, places with significant oil production have developed a different culture than other places. This extraction mindset occurs in environments where profits are taken from a captive resource. It doesn't matter if it's coal, tickets or tuition, the mindset is the same.
It's not about oil, it's about the expectation.
- Climate Change Creating ‘Longer, More Intense’ Fire Seasons: Sec. Jewell (Seattle Post-Intelligencer):
Climate change is a burning issue for the United States and particularly the American West, according to U.S. Interior Secretary Sally Jewell, whose department has to fight increasingly intense forest and range fires.
- House GOP Takes Aim At EPA Funding (The Hill):
A bill slashing Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) funding and blocking several of its new regulations is scheduled to pass through the House Appropriations Committee.
- California Moves To Restrict Water Pumping By Pre-1914 Rights Holders (LA Times):
For the first time in nearly 40 years, state regulators are telling more than 100 growers and irrigation districts with some of the oldest water rights in California that they have to stop drawing supplies from drought-starved rivers and streams in the Central Valley.
- Rich Nations in Stalemate Over Coal Subsidy Phase-Out (Reuters):
Talks on phasing out a form of coal subsidies ended in stalemate as Japan, the biggest user of the aid, led calls for more time in defiance of this week's G7 pledge on fossil fuel subsidies, sources said.
- World Off Course To Prevent Two Degrees C Warming, Says Energy Agency (Washington Post):
In a major report to be released Monday, the Paris-based International Energy Agency — which provides independent energy analysis and has 29 member countries, including the United States — will state that current national commitments to cut greenhouse gases are still insufficient to keep the world below two degrees Celsius of warming above preindustrial levels.
- Decade-Long UN Forest Climate Talks Reach Breakthrough (Bloomberg):
A surprise agreement has been reached by envoys from about 190 nations after about a decade of talks on how to reduce deforestation in developing countries to help curb climate change.
- Monsanto, Angling For Global Pesticide Dominance, Woos Syngenta (NPR):
Selling seeds and pesticides used to be a sleepy, slow-moving business. That was, until about 20 years ago, when the chemical company Monsanto introduced genetically modified crops and started buying up seed companies. Ever since, companies in this industry have been maneuvering like hungry fish in a pond, occasionally dining on pieces of each other, hoping to survive through size and speed.
- Secretive donors gave US climate denial groups $125m over three years (Guardian UK):
Funds allocated to organisations lobbying against Obama's climate bill and working to undermine rules to reduce carbon pollution, tax records show
- G7: End of fossil fuel era? (BBC) [emphasis added]:
Their targets are not binding - but they send a clear message to investors that in the long term economies will have to be powered by non-polluting energy. The world's leaders have effectively signalled the end of the fossil fuel era that has driven economies since the Industrial Revolution.
This is a seismic shift - and an acknowledgement from the leaders, prompted by Angela Merkel, of the scale of the threat from climate change.
- NOAA Study Confirms Global Warming Speed-Up Is Imminent (Climate Progress) [emphasis added]:
[M]any recent studies have found that we are about to enter an era of even more rapid global warming...[O]ne March study, "Near-term acceleration in the rate of temperature change," warns the speed-up is imminent - with Arctic warming rising a stunning 1°F per decade by the 2020s.
- Now's Your Chance to Help Save the Imperiled Monarch Butterfly-and Get Paid to Do So (Take Part) [emphasis added]:
Another threat, according to Grant, has been well-intentioned individuals who have planted a tropical form of milkweed, which competes with native varieties and is not beneficial to monarchs or other pollinators.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page
- Skeptical Science: Database with FULL DEBUNKING of ALL Climate Science Denier Myths
- 4 Scenarios Show What Climate Change Will Do To The Earth, From Pretty Bad To Disaster (Fast CoExist):
But exactly how bad is still an open question, and a lot depends not only on how we react, but how quickly. The rate at which humans cut down on greenhouse gas emissions--if we do choose to cut them--will have a large bearing on how the world turns out by 2100, the forecasts reveal.
- How to Solve Global Warming: It's the Energy Supply (Scientific American):
Restraining global warming to no more than 2 degrees Celsius will require changing how the world produces and uses energy to power its cities and factories, heats and cools buildings, as well as moves people and goods in airplanes, trains, cars, ships and trucks, according to the IPCC. Changes are required not just in technology, but also in people's behavior.
- Warning: Even in the best-case scenario, climate change will kick our asses (Grist)
- NASA Video: Warming over the last 130 years, and into the next 100 years:
- Video Proof That Global Warming is a 'Hoax'!: NASA Temperature Data 1888-2011 (The BRAD BLOG):
- NASA climate change video: This is the U.S. in 2100 (NASA).