The call for the impeachment of U.S. District Court Judge Mark Fuller is now making its way onto the airwaves in a number of Congressional districts around the country.
The women's rights group UltraViolet, which describes itself as "an online community of over 600,000 women and men who want to take collective action to expose and fight sexism in the public sector, private sector and the media," is now airing radio ads calling for the impeachment of Fuller in the wake of the federal judge's arrest last year on domestic battery charges.
The :30 second spots (posted below) are said to be "airing in GOP house districts in Wisconsin, Ohio, Texas, California and Virginia urging members of the [U.S. House] Judiciary Committee to remove Alabama Judge Mark Fuller from the bench for assaulting his wife."
Citing The BRAD BLOG's recent publication of the complete, chilling audio from the 911 call by Fuller's wife Kelli, which seems to contradict new "self-defense" claims being advanced by Fuller's Birmingham attorney Barry Ragsdale, the group argues in a recent mailing to media that "The 911 call makes clear that Judge Mark Fuller is not fit to sit on the bench in Alabama and highlights the need for Congress to take action immediately."
A press release sent out to announce the release of the radio ads, notes that UltraViolet is "sounding the alarm about an Alabama judge who was arrested for assaulting his wife last August but remains on the Federal Bench"...
"Domestic abusers have no place on a federal bench, that's why we are urging Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee to stand with us against domestic violence by impeaching Mark Fuller," UltraViolet's co-founder Shaunna Thomas says in the release. "Judge Mark Fuller was arrested and charged for beating his then-wife, yet despite widespread condemnation he remains on the bench with a taxpayer-funded paycheck. We need all Republicans on the committee to demonstrate that there is no tolerance for domestic violence in the Federal court system."
The radio ads specifically target the districts of GOP U.S. House Judiciary Committee members Rep. Darrell Issa (CA), Rep. Steve Chabot (OH), Rep. Lamar Smith (TX), Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (WI) and its Chairman Rep. Bob Goodlatte (VA).
The spots each begin with a brief clip from the 911 call, as the Dispatcher is heard asking: "Okay, do you need an ambulance?" with Kelli Fuller meekly responding: "Yes, please." The announcer then says, in the spot targeting Chairman Goodlatte, for example:
Call Congressman Goodlatte and 202-225-5431 and tell him there's no place for abusers on the federal bench. Impeach Mark Fuller.
Listen to the :30 Goodlatte spot here:
Listen to all of the "Impeach Mark Fuller" spots via SoundCloud at the links below:
• For Rep. Issa (202-225-3906)
• For Rep. Chabot (202-225-2216)
• For Rep. Smith (202-225-4236)
• For Rep. Sensenbrenner (202-225-5101)
• For Rep. Goodlatte (202-225-5431)
In addition to airing the radio ads, UltraViolet also notes in their press release that "more than 45,000 people" have now signed onto their petition calling for Fuller's impeachment.
Earlier related stories at The BRAD BLOG:
• 8/11/2014: "Federal Judge in Don Siegelman Case Arrested, Charged with Abusing Wife in Atlanta Hotel"
• 8/25/2014: "Federal Judge Who Was Arrested for Beating His Wife (and Who Sentenced Don Siegelman) Is Now Hoping to Avoid Prosecution Altogether"
• 9/5/2014: "BREAKING: Federal Judge Who Presided Over Siegelman Case and Who Recently Beat His Own Wife Bloody Strikes Deal to Avoid Prosecution"
• 9/10/2014: "NFL's Ray Rice Loses Job for Knocking Out Wife, Federal Judge Mark Fuller Keeps Lifetime Appointment After Beating Wife Bloody"
• 9/15/2014: "Republican Senior Federal Judge, Domestic Abuse Experts Call for Accountability for Wife-Beating U.S. District Court Judge Mark Fuller"
• 9/15/2014: "Wife-Beating Federal Judge Mark Fuller Finally Mentioned on MSNBC [VIDEO]"
• 9/17/2014:"Chris Hayes Plays Horrifying 911 Call From Federal Judge Mark Fuller's Wife; Sounds of Her Apparently Being Struck Can Be Clearly Heard"
• 9/19/2014:"'A Matter of Time': U.S. Senators, Representatives Finally Call for Some Accountability for Wife-Beating Federal Judge Mark Fuller"
• 9/23/2014:"Washington Post Finally Calls for Investigation, Impeachment of Wife-Beating Federal Judge"
• 10/17/2014:"Attorney For Judge Mark Fuller Says Wife Beating Incident No Big Deal; Chilling 911 AUDIO and Former AL Gov. Siegelman Suggest Otherwise"
• 10/20/2014:"Congresswoman Declares Impeachment Deadline for Wife-Beating Federal Judge; Court Unseals Divorce Docs From Fuller's Previous Marriage"
• 12/3/2014:"U.S. House Judiciary Committee Cites Potential Impeachment of Wife-Beating Federal Judge"
• 2/16/2015: "U.S. House Judiciary Committee Increases Budget For Possible Impeachment of Judge Mark Fuller"
• 3/16/2015: "Exclusive: Complete 911 Audio At Odds With New 'Self-Defense' Claim by U.S. Judge Mark Fuller's Attorney in 2014 Domestic Battery Incident"