IN TODAY'S RADIO REPORT: A snowball's chance in the US Senate; Warm winter records shattered in the US West; Two big oil companies call for a price on carbon emissions; PLUS: In 1983, scientists predicted global warming would trigger unrest in the Middle East. A new study proves it.... All that and more in today's Green News Report!
IN 'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (see links below): Hundreds of illegal oil waste pits discovered in CA; Exxon Mobil settles with NJ over toxic waste; Keeping the dust down in Owens Valley, CA; Fracking opponents getting increased scrutiny from police; Flame retardants in hand-me-down foam products ... PLUS: As the Colorado River Runs Dry: Ongoing Battle Between Urban, Rural Water Users... and much, MUCH more! ...
STORIES DISCUSSED ON TODAY'S 'GREEN NEWS REPORT'...
- Warmest Winter Records Shattered in West, But Reporters Still Won't Say 'Climate Change' (The BRAD BLOG)
- Sen. James Inhofe: Senator 'Snowball' Stunt to Disprove Global Warming:
- VIDEO: Sen. Inhofe's Embarrassing Snowball Stunt Is Celebrated On Fox News (Media Matters)
- Sen. Jim Inhofe embarrasses the GOP and the U.S. (Op-ed, Washington Post Editorial Board)
- Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) Snowball in the Senate (C-SPAN)
- Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse Debunks 'Senator Snowball' --- AGAIN:
- VIDEO: You Can Believe the Senator With a Snowball or Every Major American Scientific Society (Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse)
- Big Oil CEOs Call For Price On Carbon:
- VIDEO: Big Oil and the Inevitable: Coming to Grips with Carbon and Climate Change (Climate Crocks):
Money Quote: “You will struggle now to find climate deniers inside the Oil Industry. It’s just become unacceptable.”
- ShellBOMB – Big Oil CEO Pivots on Carbon: Calls for “Carbon Pricing System” (Climate Crocks)
- BP: huge rise in energy demand at odds with climate change fight (Guardian UK)
- BP says CO2 emissions unsustainable, warns on global warming (Telegraph UK)
- Extreme Weather: Record Drought & Warmth In US West:
- Warmest February on record in Boise (KTVB Boise)
- Global Warming Brought on California's Severe Drought (Live Science)
- Climate Change’s Evolving Role in Extreme Weather (Climate Central)
- Scientific American Series on Extreme Weather, Climate Change, and the Risks We Face (Scientific American)
- Unrest in Syria Triggered By Drought & Global Warming:
- Seeds of war: Global warming helped trigger Syria's bloody civil war (Mashable) [emphasis added]:
Manmade global warming helped spark the brutal civil war in Syria by doubling to tripling the odds that a crippling drought in the Fertile Crescent would occur shortly before the fighting broke out, according to a groundbreaking new study published on March 2.
- Researchers Link Syrian Conflict to a Drought Made Worse by Climate Change (NY Times):
Dr. Kelley, who did the research while at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory and is now at the University of California at Santa Barbara, said there was no apparent natural cause for the warming and drying trend, which developed over the last 100 years, when humans’ effect on climate has been greatest.
- New Study Says Climate Change Helped Spark Syrian Civil War (Slate)
- Climate Change a ‘Contributing Factor’ in Syrian Conflict (Climate Central):
Moist air comes flowing off the Mediterranean into Syria each winter, unleashing rains that transform the dull brown countryside into myriad hues of green. But in 2005, the rains never fully materialized, the first of five consecutive failed rainy seasons that sparked the worst drought in Syria’s history....
- VIDEO: 80s Climate Scientists Predict Drought and Political Tension in the Mideast (Climate Crocks) [emphasis added]:
Now another study showing links between climate-enhanced drought, and political instability in the Middle East....[S]cientists predicted this pattern of drought, and the resulting instability, in news reports from 1983, and ’88.
'GREEN NEWS EXTRA' (Stuff we didn't have time for in today's audio report)...
- As the Colorado River Runs Dry: Ongoing Battle Between Urban, Rural Water Users (Arizona Republic)
- 100s of Pits Full of Oil Wastewater Discovered in Calif.'s Kern County (McClatchy DC)
- Exxon Mobil Settles With New Jersey Over Environmental Damage (NY Times)
- Keeping the Dust Down in California’s Owens Valley (High Country News)
- Georgia Power Says Price of Nuclear Expansion Going Up (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- 2 States, Feds Appealing Judge's Ruling on Great Lakes Wolves (Twin Cities.com)
- Fracking Opponents Feel Police Pressure In Some Drilling Hotspots (NPR)
- Hand-Me-Down Hazard: Flame Retardants in Discarded Foam Products (Enviornmenatl Health Perspectives)
- Rep. Grijalva: Climate Letters Went Too Far in Seeking Correspondence (National Journal)
- Can Fracking Pollute Drinking Water? Don't Ask the EPA (Inside Climate News)
- Feds Say Many Central Valley Farmers Will Get No Water Deliveries (Sacramento Bee)
- Judge Chastises EPA for FOIA Failures (McClatchy DC)
- Berkeley study directly IDs climate change culprit (SF Gate) [emphasis added]:
"We have known for decades that there must be an effect, but getting a direct measurement and isolating the carbon dioxide component are a technological coup," Christopher B. Field, a senior scientist at the Carnegie Institution for Science at Stanford University who has led two major IPCC reports, said in an e-mail. The Berkeley scientists' study, he said, provides concrete evidence for the first time of carbon dioxide's effect on global warming.
- The Slick Willie of Climate Denial - Science as "Deliverables" for the Disinfo Machine (Climate Crocks)
- Deeper Ties to Corporate Cash for Doubtful Climate Researcher (NY Times) [emphasis added]:
[N]ewly released documents show the extent to which Dr. Soon's work has been tied to funding he received from corporate interests. He has accepted more than $1.2 million in money from the fossil-fuel industry over the last decade while failing to disclose that conflict of interest in most of his scientific papers. At least 11 papers he has published since 2008 omitted such a disclosure, and in at least eight of those cases, he appears to have violated ethical guidelines of the journals that published his work.
- Now's Your Chance to Help Save the Imperiled Monarch Butterfly-and Get Paid to Do So (Take Part) [emphasis added]:
Another threat, according to Grant, has been well-intentioned individuals who have planted a tropical form of milkweed, which competes with native varieties and is not beneficial to monarchs or other pollinators.
- It's Not Too Late To Stop Climate Change, And It'll Be Super-Cheap (Climate Progress):
I rarely disagree with Dave Roberts. But he has a column on Grist, "We can solve climate change, but it won't be cheap or easy," that is wrong, pure and simple....The most important climate issue is the cost and consequences of inaction.
FOR MORE on Climate Science and Climate Change, go to our Green News Report: Essential Background Page
- Video Proof That Global Warming is a 'Hoax'!: NASA Temperature Data 1888-2011 (The BRAD BLOG):
- NASA climate change video: This is the U.S. in 2100 (NASA).